I’ve got a question for you

by Ginger on February 24, 2011

in Inside Book Publishing, The 9-5

So I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while, and there’s kind of no great way to do it that doesn’t feel awkward to me, so fine, I’ll just do it.

As my long-time readers are aware (and maybe some of my new readers–HI new readers!), I work in book publishing. I’ve worked in traditional book publishing for about 8 years, and non-traditional publishing for about 2 before that. I’ve worked at small publishers and big giant corporate publishers. It’s an field that a lot of people see shrouded in mystery and intrigue (or at least interesting stories), and one that I’m immersed in daily.

So I’m wondering if you guys would be interested in reading about some of the ins and outs of book publishing? I could answer questions you have or I could just write about my general thoughts on what’s going on in the world of publishing (things like: my thoughts on the Borders bankruptcy, digital publishing, self-publishing, etc). I wouldn’t write about MY job specifically, or my company specifically, more about the generalities of the industry. But that could be very boring to you guys, I don’t know. This is one of those things where I hear a lot of people talk about how “interesting” the book publishing world is, but people may not want to read about the reality of book publishing. Especially here, where I’m a mommy/personal blogger more than a business/industry blogger.

Anyway, I’ve put a poll below where you can let me know what you think (of course, you guys are ALWAYS welcome to add your thoughts in the comments too). Folks who read in a reader, please click through to take the poll, it’ll just take a second. Thanks!

Perpetua February 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I voted yes, and I am following that up with a YES!!! comment. I was an English major, so I always think of publishing as the route I could have taken but didn’t. So I guess I want to know what I’ve missed?

Bring it on! 🙂

kate February 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Well, as you already know – I am interested in the world of publishing from a professional standpoint, but I also think it’s fascinating on a personal level. I like hearing how books get to our bookshelves or on to the digital readers. I am kind of a fan of this stuff in general – I love hear about the behind-the-scenes schtuff and the ins and outs of things I don’t know about. So – Yes! Yes! Yes! 🙂

Kris February 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

YES! Please share!! I used to work in the oh so glamorous world of B2B magazine publishing. Not as a writer or editor, but as a designer. I miss it sometimes. Not the subjects, because I worked for the most god awful boringest magazines you could imagine. But I liked the industry for the most part.

Brooke February 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm

YES! (And could you write about how I can find an agent without losing my mind?!)

Amy February 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

As someone who WANTS to get in to publishing, I’d love to read about the industry! I think it’d help people who are looking to get into it decide if it’s really for them.

Alexis February 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I would like that so much. It would be great to learn bout it from someone with firsthand knowledge. Voted “yes.”

bekah February 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I voted yes, but only because there isnt a ‘heck yes!’ options.

Erin February 24, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yes, yes, and more yes! Please. 🙂

Caren with a "C" February 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Yes, please do! My mom would even be interested as she has written some children’s books and I think they would be successful if she got them published. I’ll have to follow you so I don’t miss out!

LBDDiaries February 25, 2011 at 6:50 am

I think that would be really interesting! The more people know, the better informed they are, the better decisions they can make when they think they want to write and publish a book!

Nadine April 11, 2011 at 5:28 am

Any thoughts on the future of print magazine?