Why Do I Do This To Myself?

by Ginger on February 21, 2011

in Random

1. Why do I watch shows like Undercover Boss or Extreme Home Makeover when I know they’re going to emotionally manipulate me into crying?
  2. Why do I take a 3 hour nap on a Saturday when I know that will mean I stay up late that night, even though I need to get up on time on Sunday? And when I have more than 3 hours of things on my to-do list?
  3. Why do I take on extra projects even when I have no extra time?
  4. Why do I read articles (or worse, comments on articles) that I know are going to raise my blood-pressure?
  5. Why do I torture myself with House Hunters, or even worse, House Hunters International when we’re firmly in the “renter” demographic?

As always, you can find more lists every Monday over at ABDPBT!

listbutton

Perpetua February 21, 2011 at 4:38 am

I don’t know why, but I do it too, especially the reading (or watching) things designed to make my blood boil. Like yesterday, I actually watched Fox News coverage of the protests in Wisconsin.

I was so mad I wanted to eat the TV, and all the old white guys in it. 🙁

Ginger February 21, 2011 at 9:22 am

Oh, man, even I’d know to stay away from that one!

Lynn MacDonald (All Fooked Up) February 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Truly? i don’t get the whole reality tv thing? why do people watch other peoples train wrecks? I have no idea..i will say that i hate lists…HATE THEM

Ginger February 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

Oh, then you’ll want to stay away from here on Mondays, as lists are my go to Monday post.

Gwen February 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

I am so with you on number 5, completely addicted to House Hunters International with no means in sight to do anything about it. Color me obsessed with moving to Ecuador, even though I have never been south of Tijuana.

Ginger February 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

We can’t even contemplate buying stateside, much less internationally. But man, some of those villas in the Italian country side just call out to me!

Katherine February 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I love House Hunters, but yes, it can be tortious to watch. It especially bothers me when people have super high expectations or pick the worst option. Those people should fork over their money to people who have more sense (like me!).

I had high hopes of no longer being in the rental demographic, but there’s no way I’d buy considering my current job location.

Ginger February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yes! Some of those people should not be allowed to buy a house since they clearly aren’t doing it right. Give me the money and let me do it. Of course, even worse than House Hunters for that is Property Virgins. Seriously, have none of those people ever watched HGTV?

becky February 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Am firmly in the rental demographic as well. BUT I DON’T WANT TO BE. Dammit.

Ginger February 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Oh man, do I feel you on that. But given a)where we live and b)that one of us is a freelancer/artist and the other one works in publishing, we’re stuck with rental for now.

claire February 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm

i watched house hunters for a while just to try and guess which house they would pick, I turned it into a drinking game and yelled at the tv over petty things people would complain about. I was like a man watching football.

HipMamaB February 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Okay, but WHY do all these people moving abroad insist on buying a house? Why not rent for awhile? GAH. But I love that show.