Reward system

by Ginger on January 25, 2011

in Becoming Myself

I’m not normally good at rewarding myself. Well, scratch that, I’m not normally good at rewarding myself with NON-FOOD rewards. Honestly, my favorite way to celebrate anything is with a good meal–a good burger, some great sushi, a stellar round of tapas..you get the picture.

But I’ve decided that I’m going to find some ways to reward myself as I proceed along this weight-loss challenge, and no, a big celebration dinner isn’t it.

I’m pretty much 100% sure I’m not going to win the Biggest Blogging Loser–I’d love to, but seeing as how I’m not anywhere near the losses of the leaders, I’m seeing it as unlikely. BUT, really, honestly, and truly, I’m ok with that. I signed up for this competition more for the support, the accountability and the camaraderie than the prize. I’m getting my prize in a body I like a little bit better everyday.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t give myself my own winnings, and so a reward system it is. Here’s what I’m thinking. When I lose 1o pounds (which I’m close to–yay me!), and maintain that loss for 2 weeks, I get a reward. If I lose 20 pounds, and maintain for 2 weeks, that would be another reward. If I lose 30 pounds…well, honestly, if I lose 30 pounds I’m gonna go buy myself the best most awesome new wardrobe imaginable(in my budget), so that’s enough of a reward there.

Yes, the weight loss itself is a major reward. But everyone likes to get a little extra something right? A little celebration for your hard work? And, it gives me something tangible–a THING–to reach for, beyond just amorphous “lose weight”.

So now, I just have to decide what I want for my rewards. Any suggestions? A girl needs something to strive for!

Sizzle January 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

When I was hardcore on my weight loss journey last year I did rewards. I had things like: a new pair of sexy boots, a massage, a tattoo (still working on that goal). Good luck!

Melissa January 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Knowing you… I would suggest a mani/pedi in there; a massage (for a really big goal); perhaps a “day off;” buy a new video game; books; weekend beach getaway?

Tara January 26, 2011 at 6:11 am

Some of those leader losses are insane, aren’t they? I’m so impressed with the dedication and support in the group that Jennie put together.

I think the reward system is a great idea, by the way. It’s nice to have a little something to work towards, since just losing weight for the sake of losing weight can get a little discouraging from time to time!

jenny January 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

i know – i would love to be in the top ten … but well, i’ve got a lot of work to do! i love the rewards system idea. i might do the same for myself! start with smaller prizes and go bigger. like for me, i’d do camera gear … a new camera bag or purse … a pedicure … and then maybe get someone to clean my house! haha! good luck!

KT January 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

I always forget to do this, but rewards are a good idea. What about some sort of spa treatment or a piece of workout gear (to continue your weight loss journey)?

Perpetua January 27, 2011 at 4:45 am

You are doing such an awesome job, lady! Congratulations!

Joy January 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love your idea of rewarding yourself as you go! Good luck! Some pampering is always a great reward:)

hillary January 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I can relate to the rewarding oneself with food items. My rewards are ALWAYS food items. It’s not healthy.
I like the idea of a spa day as one of the rewards – it’s a nice way to pamper your new body. So is a new wardrobe (or a just a few pieces if a whole new wardrobe isn’t in the budget.)

Megan January 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I would definitely go for a reward system. New clothes are a must when you hit your weight goal, for obvious reasons, but also because you’re right. That is a huge reward in itself.

You are doing a great job!

Erin January 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I would say sexy boots, awesome jeans, and a massage all sound like good rewards to me!