ControverSunday: Oh the holidays!

by Ginger on December 5, 2010

in Celebrations

It’s ControverSunday time again folks! This month, we’re tackling the holidays, in all their glory. If you’d like to join in, just grab the badge from Accidents, and let our gracious hostess Kathleen over at amoment2think know and she’ll link you up!

So, the holidays. They’re pretty much ripe for controversy: commercialism, Santa, Christmas cards vs. Holiday cards, etc. But for this one, I’m going for the low hanging fruit, because it annoys me to no end.

I’m talking the ever growing length of “holidays” into months they don’t belong. And let’s be frank, we’re talking Christmas here–it’s not like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, or any other holidays are encroaching into earlier months. And look, I LOVE Christmas, I do. It’s my favorite holiday by far, and I think it’s totally worth celebrating.

But when Christmas starts to show up Thanksgiving and Halloween, are we really celebrating the holiday? No, no we’re not. All we’re doing is pushing the rampant commercialism of this holiday even further. We may be making retailer’s lives better, but we’re not doing ourselves any favors. And, I would say, we’re diluting the specialness of Christmas. Any holiday that has 3 months build up can never live up…can it? Or maybe they can, but only after a non-stop gauntlet of shopping trips, to-do lists, parties, obligations, and stress–and in that case, was it really worth it? At that point, are you really celebrating? I love Christmas, but I really think the holiday’s march into the months of November and October is wrong.

Plus, the less I have to hear Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmas Time” the better a holiday it’ll be.

badges

Perpetua December 6, 2010 at 4:07 am

LOL re: Paul McCartney. 🙂

This is the first year that the ridiculousness of “pre-Christmas” really got to me, by which I mean I was freaking out that I hadn’t started figuring out gifts yet and then realized that it wasn’t even DECEMBER. Plenty of time, obviously, but stores had been decorated for Christmas since the beginning of November.

shasta December 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Seriously! The latter months of the year are defined by their respective holidays. Totally throws me off when I hear Jingle Bells in early October. Sheesh.

Rachel December 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I get annoyed when I’m shopping the clearance Halloween stuff and find myself in a Christmas card aisle.
BUT
I do like that stores are starting their sales earlier so that I don’t have to really deal with Black Friday. This year it was VERY handy that Target mailed out coupons for the month of November. I was able to get pretty much all my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving, giving me plenty of time to wrap and get ready for the baby.

Ginger December 6, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I saw Christmas stuff in the Target by me the week before Halloween. It’s just overkill! And plus, I’m a shopping procrastinator, so the early sales don’t do me any good (unless I’m buying for myself!). I *should* get my act together and shop early, if only to spread the money out, but hey, I never said I was smart like that! 😉

But being pregnant, you’ve got a definite reason to try and get as much done early as possible!

clara December 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I, also, hate that Paul McCartney song with a passion. Haven’t heard it yet this year! Wooohooo!

Mama Tortoise December 7, 2010 at 8:40 am

You are SO on the money. In October (before Halloween) I went looking for those garbage bags with the jack-o-lantern face on them. You know, an easy way to pretend you’re decorating when what you’re really doing is finally raking up the fall leaves? I was told that they were in the seasonal clearance section? Huh? Then what was in the regular seasonal section, I asked naively. Yup, Halloween hadn’t even begun but it was already out of season to make room for Christmas stuff. Makes me kinds hope for the Christmas seasonal clearance to begin a week or so 🙂

Katherine December 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Worst Christmas song ever.

{ 1 trackback }