A financial conundrum

by Ginger on December 3, 2010

in Rampant Consumerism

So you remember last week, I asked you all in my Ask the Internet: Dental Edition about whether I should take my dentist up on super cheap veneers or crowns? And you all gave me lots to think about and ultimately voiced all the concerns that were nagging at me? Well, THEN, I found out that the dentist’s office hadn’t submitted the paperwork to my insurance in a timely manner, so there was a chance than I wouldn’t be able to get it done this year anyway. And THEN, Lisa from Seriously told me on Twitter about RateMDs.com, where I just so happened to find nothing but negative ratings for this dentist.

So, I’m thinking no on the cheap veneers.

However, this creates a very first world dilemma. See, I had put aside a giant chunk of change in my FSA this year to cover a whole bunch of dental work–these veneers, possibly a root canal for N.C., and some other stuff. For a lot of reasons, all of it was going to get pushed into December (don’t ask, it’s a long story of laziness, mistakes with paperwork, frustration and sadness). So now…

I have to find out how to spend a serious chunk of change–in FSA dollars. By the end of this year.

How does one spend all this money, with such restrictions?

I’ve got a few things figured out
–new contacts
–new glasses
–new prescription sunglasses (maybe, I’ve never been a huge fan, but maybe I’ll see some I love)

But, uh, after that? I’m a little stumped. And this won’t cover all the funds I need to spend, not even close. And I’ll be DAMNED if I’m letting this money go. So, uh, anyone know anyway I can pay for an iPad or plane tickets or a vacation with my FSA dollars? Cuz I’ve got 4 weeks to figure out how to spend it all.

Updated to add: I just found out that I can buy directly from Drugstore.com and have it deposit directly from my FSA for some eligible purchases. Woohoo! So, um, what MUST HAVE medicines/diaper creams/allergy pills/etc should I buy. The more expensive the better!

Lisa December 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Lasik?

Or maybe ask if you can roll it over this one time?

Ginger December 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Sadly, my vision isn’t bad enough to qualify for Lasik (seriously, my prescription is so low my last eye doctor laughed at me. But I still contend that if I’m seeing blurry–however slightly–and it’s affecting my driving, give me the damn prescription. Sorry, rant over.).

And sadly, there is no rolling over. If I don’t use it by Dec. 31–it’s gone.

Lisa December 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What about massage therapy?

Ginger December 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Looks like that *might* be possible, if I can get a dr. to write a scrip for it. Which, given all my back issues, would probably be possible if I could get into a dr soon.

Alexis December 3, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Do diapers count as FSA eligible. I know you don’t use too many with the cloth, but hey, a case or two in the next few sizes wont go amiss. Otherwise, I suggest a super-duper first aid kit for the car, I love mine and it has been so useful so many times. Also, don’t overlook the possibility of exercise equipment. I know some health plans of this type will cover if you want a stationary bike or something. Lastly, my baby must haves that are worth the price: Aquaphor and Pinxav and if all else fails a year’s supply of lady products might be handy. Boring, and depressing, but useful! Good luck!

Ginger December 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Sadly, no on the diapers, or the exercise equipment (though I *really* got my hopes up about that one.)

This is kind of like the most boring and sad shopping spree ever.

The Sweetest December 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

We love California Baby products- still use them on my son at 3 yrs old. Sunscreen, wash/shampoo, and lotions. Those are pricey. For myself, I like Jurlique sunlotion for my face (don’t know if they sell it there).

Ginger December 3, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Shockingly, sunscreen isn’t FSA eligible (according to what my insurance says) unless you already have been diagnosed with skin cancer. Which blows my freakin’ mind.

Perpetua December 4, 2010 at 5:24 am

Okay, I feel gross even suggesting this, but here goes: is there anything you can buy that you can re-sell? Perhaps a breast pump or something else on the more expensive side?

Rationale: you put the money aside, so it’s not like “stealing.” It’s your money. And, if you get something big-ticket and then sell it for a little lower than list price, you’re saving someone else money. So, good karma. Possibly illegal, but good karma. 🙂

Other than that, I can’t think of anything that hasn’t been suggested. Sunscreen isn’t on the list, really? Well, sure, why opt for preventative medicine, right? Sheesh.