So last week, I wrote about ways to NOT annoy people on Twitter. You guys had some great additions and thoughts on my original list, too, so it was a post I really enjoyed.
This week, it being Thanksgiving and all, I’m going to try and focus on good stuff all week long. So, as an answer to last week’s snark fest, I’m giving you my list of 7 things you do on Twitter that I love:
- Share your stuff Despite the fact that I have a (very full) feed reader, more and more, I’m using Twitter as my reader. That’s not to say I don’t read from my reader any more, but something about the immediacy of a link on Twitter helps me some days. So I love when you make it easy for me. (just don’t overshare the same thing. We talked about this last week, don’t forget that lesson!)
- Share other people’s stuff I’m *always* looking for new and interesting reads–blogs, websites, news articles. I read a lot, but that doesn’t mean I read everything you read! So I love when you share what you’re reading/finding interesting around the web. I’ve found really great new content that way. Plus, to me, it’s one of the best ways of “giving back” to the people you read to share their stuff when it works for you. (I need to be better about this!)
- Be funny I am not funny, but I sure as hell appreciate those of you who are. Especially on a rough work day, sometimes your humor is what pulls me out of my misery. So funny people, keep the laughs coming.
- Answer questions I ask questions on Twitter, and I love when people respond. I read a lot of people’s questions on Twitter and I love when *those* get answered. Hey, if I’m going to go with Google anyway, I might as well be getting answers/opinions/feedback from my friends online, right?
- Talk about products you use and love I’ve said before, I don’t really have any local mom friends. So part of what I use the internet for is to learn about the mom stuff I wouldn’t know about otherwise, and get honest user feedback. So, for example, when I was looking for a new carseat, Twitter moms really helped steer me toward what we eventually got. I may not want to read nothing but product/deal tweets, but as my online friend, if you’ve got something you use and love? I’m stoked to hear about that stuff.
- Respectfully share your differences of opinion This one’s a little tough, because it walks such a fine line, BUT. I actually have loved seeing discussions that open my eyes to multiple opinions. Now, there are some things where you’re not going to convince me to change my mind (most politics come to mind), but if you’re having a polite, open discussion without name calling or anger, that can be pretty awesome.
- Talk! Of all my obvious answers, this is the most obvious of them all. Twitter to me only works when you engage with each other. I don’t understand the people who never talk to anyone else, or who only post links and never have conversations. I love the conversational element of Twitter, so please, keep talking to me!
So, how about you? What do you love on Twitter?
As always, you can find more lists every Monday over at ABDPBT!