I love Twitter. I’m fully a Twitter convert (come join me–I’m @rambleginger), and while I may not be the wittiest, or the smartest, or the most interesting, I love the conversations that happen there, the people I’ve met there, and the links/blogs/websites I’ve been exposed to (not to mention the momentary escapes from the drudgery of my day!). Twitter = great.
That being said.
It’s a really easy medium to misuse. There are a whole lot of people doing a whole lot to annoy the shit out of me on Twitter. I’m not even talking about *what* people are posting, so much as *how* they are posting.
I’m not immune to it–the other day I found myself putting a tweet up that probably made me look like an ass. And as soon as I did, I resolved that I would make myself a list of rules I personally won’t break anymore* because they annoy the ever-loving crap out of me to see in my stream**. So here is my list of 5 ways to not annoy people on Twitter!
- Don’t retweet your conversations. Look, I know the entire conversation is amazing and all your followers really want to know about what you and 3 other people are saying to each other, but…wait, we really don’t. Or if we do, we already follow everyone involved and will see it anyway. Seeing multiple RT and @ signs per tweet, 10 tweets in a row? ANNOYING.
- Don’t post the same tweet/link 10 times in 10 minutes. There are a few people I follow who do this–you can tell when they get online because they tweet the same thing 10 times in a row (about once a minute). Look, I get wanting to retweet your blog post to catch more traffic, but once a minute isn’t the same thing. Knock it off.
- Don’t post the same tweet/link every day for two weeks. On a related note–if you haven’t written a new blog post in 10 days, don’t keep posting the OLD link 5 times a day. I’m not even talking about the voting requests (which are a different matter), I’m talking just normal, everyday links.
- Don’t just retweet people who are talking about you. Again, I get the promotion angle, I really do (hey, this is part of my day job too, I get it). But if the only time you ever retweet other people is when they’re talking about you, well, that’s annoying.
- Don’t try to force people to read your link with an @ mention. Unless it’s about them, in direct response to them or to something they’ve written, or something they asked for your take on, this really just looks desperate. People will either read something, or they won’t. Don’t try to force their hand.
Obviously, I haven’t touched on some of the big annoyances (auto-DM’s anyone?) but we all KNOW those already (right? RIGHT??). These are ones that I didn’t even think about until I started seeing them in my stream all the time. And hey, we’re all going to screw up occasionally and annoy *someone* online, but it should (hopefully) be a rare occurrence, rather than an everyday one. Let’s just hope that some of the worst offenders eventually learn that they’re not promoting, they’re just annoying!
How about you–what annoys YOU on Twitter?
*Yes, I did one of these recently. I vow not to again because I annoyed MYSELF so much. I knew as soon as I did it too, but I decided to not delete it as a reminder that I need to think BEFORE I tweet.
**You might say, “hey why don’t you just unfollow those people?” Well, in a few cases, I actually have. But in a few others, I actually like the information I get from the offending parties so much that I make myself ignore the annoyance factor. We’ll see how much longer the balance remains in their favor though.
As always, you can find more lists every Monday over at ABDPBT!