Nightmare Before Halloween

by Ginger on November 2, 2010

in Day in the Life, Random

So this weekend, we were driving back from a community Halloween fair (lots of fun! We’ll totally go again next year when Jackson’s old enough to really enjoy it), when we saw a horrific, awful, truly disgusting sight.

We saw a house with their Christmas tree already up and decorated, lights ablazing.

On October 30th.

People, this is unacceptable. Christmas trees up before Halloween? No. NO.

Look, I love Christmas. I mean, I LOVE Christmas. I’d probably give up every other holiday and my birthday for Christmas. But not before Thanksgiving.

And under no circumstances, NOT before Halloween.

Alexis November 2, 2010 at 4:45 am

Oh hell no! I was so proud that I pulled down the definitively Halloween pumpkins and set up a little harvest theme on my mantle…this will not do!

Clearly people are starting to suffer holiday overload and have just plain lost it.

Erin November 2, 2010 at 7:59 am

That is absolutely ridiculous! It drives me nuts when people skip over Thanksgiving, but to have Christmas up already? No, no, no.

I think it’s bad enough that Ted had to work overnight on Halloween to get holiday displays up in his store, but that’s the retail world.

Sarah November 2, 2010 at 8:18 am

ARG! I hate that. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. The idea of skipping it in favor of Christmas (that I also love) is upsetting. To push it back so far as to miss Halloween? Ridiculous!

I’m doing everything I can to make sure my boys know each of the holidays and why they’re important, not just that Christmas means candy and treats and we should start celebrating in August!

Katherine November 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

Perhaps we need to start a Remember Thanksgiving campaign.

The continual shift towards “holiday” instead of Christmas has blurred the seasonal lines and left us watching Christmas themed commericals in early November. They will be the new political ads.

Rachel November 2, 2010 at 11:10 am

When we were trick or treating we came to a house that ALREADY HAD THEIR CHRISTMAS TREE UP!

I came back and burned their house down.

bekah November 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

wow. We have a strict policy that Christmas starts AFTER thanksgiving. No exceptions. Except Elf, which is really a movie for the whole year to us.

Dec 1 is my birthday, and my present is always a Christmas tree. We go get it that day and decorate it, it will STILL be dead and shedding needles by the 25th anyway!

Perpetua November 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm

You know, I’ve seen all the stuff in stores (before Halloween!), but I figured that was just for people who were REALLY planning ahead. I didn’t think anyone actually decorated this early.

We have orange and purple halloween lights up. We’ll probably switch out the orange for white in December. Or perhaps not at all. 🙂

kate November 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Confession: While out trick or treating, I steered Beckett clear of house that had all the Christmas regalia up – lights, trees, Santa decorations, everything! It made me gag. I love Christmas and all, but give it its due month – just DECEMBER! 🙂