Ask the Internet: Random Mish Mash edition

by Ginger on October 12, 2010

in Random

My head is a jumble today.

Too little sleep means I’m running on caffeine and a massive to do list.

Too much coding means my words and thoughts are being replaced by <?/} )). php, and F*@$ing errors of death.

Too many ideas and not enough time means I’m feeling down on what I’m NOT accomplishing instead of celebrating what I AM.

SO, rather than try and make the seventeen posts I’ve got in my head actually come out ok, I figure it’s time for another Ask the Internet! Here we go…

1. WordPress users–plugins you swear by? I’m building sites and trying to clean mine up, and I’ve got my few go to plugins, but I’m always interested in seeing what other people use. So…spill it!
  2. Thoughts on changing profile pics? I never change my Facebook or Twitter profile pics, but it’s been suggested that I should, occasionally. I…don’t know how I feel about that. I kind of love my twitter profile pic, but since it’s not of my face, maybe it’s doing me a disservice? Thoughts?
  3. What does one do with a toddler for an 8 hour road trip? We’re going on a road trip with Jackson next weekend, and…I’m scared. He’s always been pretty good in the car, but 8 hours, even with the requisite breaks, is a new adventure. Ideas? He’s still rear-facing, if that matters at all.
  4. Anyone want some miscellaneous baby stuff? I’ve got a hands free bustier I used maybe 10 times (works fine, just annoyed me at work), and like 2 boxes of Medela Steam and Clean Bags. I may have a couple of sippy cups hanging around too(never used, Jackson skipped right to straw cups). If anyone wants em, they’re yours.

If any of you have any questions you’d like to ask the internet, post em below!

Brooke October 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Yes to the profile pic change, especially on Facebook.

Portable DVD player for the car. And plan around sleep!

Katherine October 12, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Yay for road trips! I did a couple trips with Nicole when she was around Jackson’s age and she handled them pretty well. I don’t recall any major issues. She did take her sweet time eating her lunch when we stopped because she knew what was up. Shoshana and I found it pretty amusing.

Alexis October 13, 2010 at 4:54 am

We did three rounds of CT/NY to VA (+/- 12 hours) when Cha Cha was this age. Try and get going during nap-time, or drive at night if you and NC can stand it. Just count on the trip taking way more than 8 hours. It is technically 10 hours to VA but it took us much closer to 14 due to stops and the like. You can do this, it will not be hard, but pack lots of toys and snacks and give yourself tons of time.

Happy travels!

Perpetua October 13, 2010 at 5:27 am

The longest roadtrip I’ve ever taken with E was 5 hours, but we’ve done that multiple times (to my parents’ house). Definitely try to plan around nap time. E naps around 11, so we would leave at 10:30, giving him enough time to be lulled to sleep by the road. We also way overpacked when it came to toys and stuff, assuming that if one thing didn’t interest him, maybe another would. A distraction snack like cheerios (little chance of choking on those in the car) is also great.

We’ve never driven at night, though I think that makes a lot of sense.

And finally, the last 20 minutes always suck. I don’t know why, but it’s almost like E anticipates getting to grandma and is like, “NOT ONE MORE MINUTE.” There’s nothing you can do about that except keep driving. 🙂

Alias Mother October 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

We’ve done 8 hours a few times and will be doing it again over Thanksgiving. It isn’t pretty or relaxing, but it is doable.

First, abandon hope that you will get there entirely scream-free. Unless you have the best traveler in the world, there will likely be screaming at some point. Bring toys, lots of new toys, and snacks that take a long time to eat. Expect that one of you will be in the backseat with him for a bit. Bring his favorite music. This time, since the Buddha will be 3, we will be bringing along a laptop and some DVDs to help distract her, but he may be too young for that.

kate October 13, 2010 at 9:15 am

Leave the profile pic – it’s perfect. Unless you want to change it…

Oh road trips… Yay for the portable DVD player. Maybe consider flipped the car seat forwards so that Jackson can see out the front – I know that helped Beckett a lot just because she could see the world better. Snacks – lots of snacks. A hungry baby is an unhappy baby/toddler. Another fun idea – a magnadoodle. It’s safe for little kids and it’s totally clean, never ending drawing!

shasta October 13, 2010 at 9:42 am

Leave the profile pics. I’ve never changed mine because I like them. They’ve come to represent my twitter and facebook personas.

And I’ve got nothing as far as road trip help. Our longest car trip with Mittens was 3 hours…at 10 PM. She was out the whole time. I’m thinking the DVD player or a spare iTouch/iPhone/iPad might give her something to do?

Elizabeth October 13, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I’m just too lazy to change my profile pictures, but I’m not against it. If I ever had a picture of myself I really did love, I’d definitely pop it up.

Good luck with the roadtrip! We’re planning to do a 14 hour one in March or April when our kid is 4 months old. I’m already nervous!