Just what you want to talk about on a Friday!

by Ginger on September 24, 2010

in Mom Thoughts

On Thursday night, I was having a conversation on Twitter with Erin (@maraudererin) & Lisa (@pixelatedmama) about our catheter experiences. (oh, yeah, warning, I’m talking about catheters in this post. You’re welcome to run screaming now).

Anyway, I was talking about how….uncomfortable…the removal was for me after my c-section. It was fast, but definitely a less than happy feeling. Lisa asked if it hurt worse than having the catheter put in, and for the life of me, I couldn’t remember anything about that process. It actually kind of bugged me all night that I couldn’t remember. Did they put it in before the epidural? Did it hurt? Was I just so out of it from labor that I couldn’t remember? Why could I remember almost every single detail about my time in the hospital, down to what the clock on the recovery room wall looked like, but I couldn’t remember this VERY invasive procedure?

This morning, though, I woke up and realized WHY I didn’t remember. I had blocked it out. Because I had a brand spanking new nurse who took a MILLION FUCKING TRIES to get the damn thing put in. I think it took about 20 minutes to finally get it done correctly–a procedure that when done with a skilled hand should take, what, 2 minutes? Which, now that I think about it, is probably part of why the removal was so painful, seeing as how I took a battering with all those fumbling, futzing, what-the-hell-are-you-doing-down-there attempts to get it put in.

I still don’t remember if it was before or after the epidural–I’m guessing after, since I still don’t remember excruciating pain?– but I do remember my husband about to lose.his.shit on that nurse. She was nice enough, but she was really not up to snuff (there were a few other reasons I say that, beyond the catheter problem), and he had kind of had enough of seeing me in pain at that point. But apparently, he shouldn’t have worried. Because up until today, over a year later, I had completely forgotten about the whole thing!

And thus endeth my catheter story. You’re welcome.

Alexis September 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Ha! I loved mine…no joke. Without getting into major TMI I got to keep mine for almost 24 hours post birth thanks to some, well, no delicate way to put this, alarming stitches. I thought it was great and I giggled every time I peed without even noticing I had to go. Sure I am a 12 year old boy at heart (or a sick freak…whatever) but hey, if you can’t laugh what can you do?

Ginger September 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Oh, I loved it too, make no mistake. Especially after the c-section, with my legs not working, and it hurting anytime I had to try to sit up? That thing was a god-send (I had mine until sometime the next day…).

Lisa September 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I opted for mine. Seriously. They gave me a choice of bedpan, bedside commode, or catheter when they hooked up the magnesium and I asked the nurse what she would do. She said cath and I went with her choice and I’m glad I did. I couldn’t move by yesterday afternoon, my eyes weren’t even focusing right, it was nice to at least not have to worry about how to pee! The insertion actually wasn’t too bad, it’s *really* quick if they know what they’re doing. But contractions with one in are weird and uncomfortable, and the baby decided my bladder would be really fun to play with while I had it in.

I hope her shenanigans are indicative of her personality outside of the womb. She ignored my bladder until I had something in it, and then she played hide and seek with the monitor all night long. I hope she’s that spunky when she gets here, she’s going to need it!

Ginger September 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I would have opted for a cath too! I just wish the person doing mine had known what she was doing!

And i definitely think your little girl will have spunk to spare–she’s her mom’s daughter, yes?

Lisa September 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I have to check in with catheter story #2. THIS one they let a nursing student do. I’d had my epidural, but wasn’t completely numb, so youch! The experienced nurse had to step in and pop it in. Of course, they barely got it in before they had to take it out because it was time to push.

Erin September 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Ouch! My catheter went in after my first spinal block, so I barely felt it. I was aware it was happening, but I couldn’t really feel it. The removal was nothing. The nurse told me to exhale, and then it was over. I was really expecting it to be a lot worse.

Elizabeth September 24, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I hate, hate, hate, hate catheters! I had one put in when I was in the ER one time–in retrospect it was probably entirely unnecessary, but whatever. I couldn’t pee for the longest time after they took it out, and the nurse kept telling me that was ridiculous. Erghhh.

Lizzie September 25, 2010 at 6:48 am

When I was training to be a nurse, we used to take it in turns to put female catheters in because a) it was so difficult and b) it hurt the lady like hell. Thankfully I’ve never had to have one but god help the nurse who has to put mine in!

bekah September 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Ugh..yeah..I was not too happy about the catheter either! I had pre-e, so after I had Jack I had to be catheterized for 24 hours…which meant they didnt want me to have him in my room at all, because I was supposed to be bed bound. I pretty much flipped out, and my nurse (who was really great) brought him back. Matt handled the first few diaper changes like a pro, and I only waddled out of bed twice that night…I had to…catheter be damned!

clara September 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

I never think about my catheter either, which is odd because it’s an integral part of the delivery of my kid. See I’d been so busy w/labor I hadn’t peed in, like, forever, so even though I was fully dilated (and epi’d thank you very much) and was ready to push, my contractions stopped. eventually my awesome midwife & nurse determined that my bladder was SO FULL it was stopping the contractions. they put in a catheter that I didn’t feel at all and drained like 2L of pee so my son could be born. I have a huge bladder. It can hold a lot of pee.

I think they took it out before the epidural wore off..but I have no recollection.

I am sorry yours was unpleasant. I had a bad IV from a nurse who had no idea what she was doing, but somehow I think a bad catheter placement would be worse.

N.C. September 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

That wasn’t a catheter. She was just checking on the baby, right? That never happened, you can’t make me believe you. I’m blocking it out La LA LA LAAA!!!

But seriously, yeah that nurse…you know I had a hard time keeping it together with her.