Holy crap, I’ve got a career!

by Ginger on September 20, 2010

in The 9-5

Do you ever look at the individual moments of your life with shock? Think “I find it bizarre that this is what I’m doing?” Because sometimes it’s just weird that it’s YOU doing something, not some character on a TV show?

To illustrate what I mean:

The last few days at work have been strange. I’ve been doing a lot of big Grown Up tasks at work.  Tasks that make me think: holy crap, that’s, like, a grown-up person’s job. Things like:

• Finalizing the functionality of an iPhone app
  • Having a “managerial” discussion with an employee who has had some complaints lodged against her
  • Budgeting for a new marketing program
  • Planning who will handle an author’s appearance on Howard Stern (and not jumping to do it myself for the “fun” factor).
  • Working through an employee’s problems with our new time card system
  • Reviewing job descriptions and department workloads
  • Working through user-experience problems of an e-commerce system
  • Starting the (sadly, very long) process of getting an employee promoted
  • Explaining social media to the corporate team

I mean, I do this stuff all the time, but sometimes it hits me–I have a grown up person’s job, with a grown up person’s responsibilities. I’m a manager (a pretty good one too, if I do say so myself). I have a tendency to still think of myself as that entry-level kid from years ago, but I don’t think I can say that anymore. I mean, on paper, I know that. I’ve been a manager for several years now, I’ve handled thousands of dollars in budgets, I’ve worked with national media, I’ve handled bestselling authors and celebrities, I’ve had massive projects on my shoulders. But in the day to day DOING, sometimes it just doesn’t register exactly WHAT I’m doing. Every once in a while though, I stop and look around and think–crap, I’ve actually got a career here. Whodathunkit?

What about you? Do you ever look at bits of your life in amazement that you’re doing THIS?

As always, more lists can be found over at Anna’s at abdpbt!
listbutton

Lizzie September 20, 2010 at 11:26 am

That sounds like my ideal job – it actually makes me feel quite giddy just looking at the things you have to do, and I’m getting really excited about going into my final year so I can get on with it!! 😀

becky September 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Yes, I used to ask myself when they were going to figure out that it was all a farce. And it was so strange to have people ask my opinion on something, even though I *knew* I had the knowledge to answer their questions.

PS) Do you ever hire freelance writers? 😀

Ginger September 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, it feels weird sometimes when they come to me for my “expert” advice!

(and I do hire freelance writers, occasionally, for product descriptions. I won’t have anything until probably January, but if you’re interested, send me an email and I’ll put it in my “to revisit in January” file!).

Lisa September 20, 2010 at 12:01 pm

And that’s why I hate my job, pretty much. My days consist of taking notes in a staff meeting and writing status reports, ordering food from catering, doing SOX audits, editing marketing videos, and writing documentation. I’m a training developer — how many of those things have anything to do with training?

Ginger September 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ve got lots of crap too (I hate writing SOP’s. HATE HATE HATE). But yes, overall, I’ve been lucky to be able to leave some of that stupid bullshit behind.

ABDPBT September 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Not really. I still don’t really do grown up things, though I used to when I was teaching, so I know what you’re talking about. It is strange. If I were you, though, I would totally do the Howard Stern thing. I mean, come on.

Ginger September 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Eh, after working with Harpo, Howard Stern is no big thang. (that sounded incredibly douchebaggy. And yet–true).

And I dunno that I agree that you don’t do grown up things. I mean, taking on corporate ad networks must feel bizarre on some days, no?

Perpetua September 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Your job sounds pretty kick-ass, acknowledging as I do that it probably includes crap here and there. I long to do grown-up things, more than I long for aspartame and caffeine (both of which I’m trying to kick again). I also long for budgets and responsibilities and to-do lists that don’t have “groceries” on them.

kate September 21, 2010 at 11:25 am

I feel like I have that awe and “OH MY GOD – I’ve Really Got THIS?!” every time I look at my daughter. She was in me. My husband and I made her. And, now she is a talking, walking, amazing little person. Whodathunkit? Sometimes when you step back and look around for just a second, you get a whole a new perspective on things/life/what you are doing. And, the awe with parenthood never wears off.

Elizabeth September 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I’m still working on that. Being an on and off again photographer doesn’t do much for that, but when it’s on, it’s really, really on!

Laura Lohr | My Beautiful Life September 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I still think it’s weird to be a wife and a mother, even though I have been one for 7 and 5 years respectively. It still strikes me as strange that everyone in this house depends on me, including the dogs, frog, and fish.

It is sort of overwhelming and wonderful, all at the same time.