Ask the Internet

by Ginger on September 9, 2010

in Random

It’s time for another installment of Ask The Internet! Once again, I’m turning to ya’ll for wisdom and help, so let’s have at it!

1. Baby shoes needed for fatty fat feet. Jackson needs shoes–he’s starting to walk, and, as evidenced by the disgusting state of his feet after a recent outing, we need to cover his tootsies when we’re out. However, my child has monster feet. Length wise, he’s somewhere around a size 5 or 6–however his feet are apparently really fat (from top to bottom, not width wise). So by the time we get shoes that can actually fit over his chunky feets, they’re a good inch too long. I am at a loss. We’ve tried the flexible Robeez type shoes–the elastic just digs into his feet. We’ve tried sandals–they’re too easy for him to get off, if they even end up working. Forget shoes with laces or firm tops. I need help! And preferably not ragingly expensive help, as he seems to be outgrowing his shoes at an alarming pace.

2. Veggie options needed! As we’re coming out of summer, my favorite veggies will start disappearing. I’m committed to getting more and more veggies in our meals, wherever possible, but I’ll admit–I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the winter veggies. I just don’t know what to do with squashes (they get mushy) or root vegetables. I would like to experiment a little with things like kale, but am worried about texture issues (I pretty much loathe cooked spinach due to the, again, mush factor). So…help?? I’m sort of at a loss.

3. I want a trendy fall fashion outfit. However, I am neither trendy, nor fashionable. So…what should I be looking at? (oh, and it can’t be spendy. In case that isn’t obvious).

4. What does one do with a climber? Jackson’s a climber. He (tries) to climb on all of the following: the couch, the LazyBoy, the entertainment center, the window sill, his crib, the bench blocking the fireplace, the baby gates, the pack n play (the outside), the bookshelves, and, of course, momma and daddy. We remove him from the furniture, we tell him “down, Jackson”, we redirect (we also have anchored all of the major furniture into the walls, just in case). And he still climbs. So…anyone have any ideas? Or do we just need to keep with it until he gets the message?

Any answers are appreciated–and if you’ve got your own questions, ask them in the comments and we’ll see if we can get your burning dilemmas taken care of too!

magpie September 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

1. Kale chips are the bomb – and crunchy.
2. Roast all of those root vegetables. Chop ’em up and toss them with salt & olive oil, stick ’em in a hot oven until done. Even better, roast a chicken on top of them.

Lisa September 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’m with you on the veggie thing. Squash I’m OK with, but I can’t get excited about root vegetables for the most part. Blech. I’ll have to ask my mom how she cooks kale, I forget if she steams or sautes it, but it is really good. Even my picky brother will eat it. And Girl’s Gone Child has a recipe for crispy kale that sounds interesting — http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2010/07/eat-well-www-says-eat-your-veggies.html

Cheryl September 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Have you ever thought of soup with squash? Mushiness is not an issue when it’s pureed. I stole this from my sister-in-law and it’s easy. Throw some chunks of squash, red pepper, olive oil and whatever seasoning you like in the oven. Once it’s all roasted and lovely, buzz it up with some milk or cream.

Cheryl September 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I desperately wanted to be able to advise you on the fall wardrobe issue 🙁 This would have been right up my alley, if it weren’t for my wardrobe consisting of maternity clothes right now. Would love to know what you choose though!
(Sorry, I meant to make this one comment!)

Alias Mother September 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

1) I hate that I’m saying this but: Crocs. I know, I KNOW. But they have lots of room in them and they slip on and off easily (a little too easily once the kid starts running). They may get you through the baby chub stage.

2) I second the kale thing. It doesn’t get nearly as mushy as spinach. Also: try sweet potatoes (roast ’em…delicious). How about broccoli and cauliflower?

I have no advice on 3 or 4.

ABDPBT September 9, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I was resistant to Crocs as well, but Mini has had these shark ones for a while and he LOVES them. They are really easy to deal with for kids, so uh, yeah, this might be your best option.

Mini was not a huge climber, but when he would get on stuff I’d just tell him to get down. Maybe there’s something you can put in front of the stuff he likes to climb — like a baby gate or something? We just tried to imbue him with a strong fear of falling, but I’m not sure how effective that is.

Elizabeth September 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Fall is a laughable idea for me until November, and by then, I’ll just be glad something fits!

I third the kale.

Accidents September 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Everyone has beat me to it, but I’ll weigh in so as to add to the consensus.
1. Kale chips. Weelicious.com has kid and grownup friendly instructions for making kale chips, I think it has like 2 steps (put them in the oven, wait a million years to dehydrate/crispify, eat). I also like kale and ginger salad, but I never make it myself, which leads me to:
2. To get good veggie meal/side ideas I like to go to a Whole Foods or Trader Joes or Co-op type place that has an interesting deli counter/salad bar and try out a couple of the things they have there using seasonal veggies, then google recipes and try it at home. That way I don’t spend a lot of time making something from a recipe that I’m just going to hate and is going to get gross in the fridge when I inevitably save the leftovers but don’t eat them.
3. Curries are great for winter veggies, if you like mushy as long as it’s soupy and hearty and can be eaten with rice. They are also super easy, because you can buy jars of curry sauce in the ethnic foods isle. Dump, simmer, eat. Apparently kids are supposed to love curries, as long as they are mild (or the kid likes spice). Hank doesn’t eat anything remotely adventurous, so this has not been true in our case.
4. I have no experience with crocs, but it was the first thing I thought of in terms of shoes, since robees type deals don’t work for you. It seems like those are really roomy shoes, and they have a larger opening, I think, for the foot to go in, so would help with the top to bottom chub. Hank doesn’t have any, so I can’t vouch, but you should find a place that sells them and try them on J. Luckily your climate doesn’t necessitate winter boots like mine does, so they might be able to see you through the seasons.
5. Notice my numbers don’t have any correspondence with your numbers. Umm…fashion? I’m probably the wrong person to ask. If black sweaters, skirts and black tights every day of the fall are wrong, I don’t want to be right.
6. Hank is/was a climber, too. Repetition, repetition. It can take 6 months to stick, but Hank is now repeating rules back to us, and stopping the behavior (most of the time) because it’s sunk in. He will go as if to stand in his high chair and all I have to do is give him a look, and he’ll say sternly “sit down!” and sit back down again. Yes, HE will say it. So it does sink in, eventually, but only if you consistently keep at it. For things like coffee tables, chairs, etc., we just let him climb at first so he could get a sense of danger (yes, we let our baby fall, figured that was a quick lesson). Once he was over the initial walking/climbing exploration, we started using more “no”s and telling him to get down from chairs, short tables. For things that are genuinely dangerous (bookshelves, etc.) there was no negotiation, and yes, it sucked for awhile. I still come into a room every once in awhile to find him sitting on top of an endtable, playing with a toy, but for the most part he’s stopped the real daredevily stuff.

Perpetua September 10, 2010 at 7:32 am

Everyone stole all my answers! So, I’ll third or fourth the kale chips, the crocs (I’ve heard that they are the only solution for chubby feet, and that this is true even for adults), roasted or pureed root veggies. Google pumpkin black bean soup. It is GOOD.

E is a cautious climber and (so far, thank god) will only do dangerous stuff if I’m holding his hand. Wait, that’s not true, he desperately wants to throw himself off the top of the couch. I don’t have advice on this one beyond knowing that they are much sturdier now than they were a year ago.

As for fall wardrobe, I’m wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt right now. Fashionable? Most certainly not. 🙂

MommyNaniBooboo September 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

We have a climber too!
Our pediatrician suggested giving him one or two things that he CAN climb. So now we remove him from the dangerous furniture and put him on the “safe” stuff.
Hasn’t stopped me from having little heart attacks every day… but we’re trying!

The Sweetest September 10, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Look at Simple Shoes- they Baby Doodle. It’s awesome for wide, baby feet. And easy on/off.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks September 13, 2010 at 8:46 am

Kale chips are great. I also think soup would be a good way to mask the mushy factor of veggies. Also, what about a vegetable lasagna … or a meat lasagna with some of the heartier winter vegetables. Could be a great way to work them into your diet without having to eat them plain.

kate September 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm

1 – Can’t help with the chubbo feet thing, sorry. My daughter has ridiculously long, skinny feet…
2 – Veggies in fall and winter are delicious. Yes, to the roasting idea that others posted! Anything roasted with olive oil and garlic is yummy! And, don’t be afraid of squash – butternut is particularly good and acorn is wonderful with some brown sugar (but, what isn’t good with brown sugar?!)
3 – Fall fashion – don’t ask me, I am a fashion flop…
4 – Climbing – let him climb. My daughter was and is still a climber. So, for her first birthday I pleaded with one of the grandparents to buy her a Little Tikes climbing set – the age range was 2 years and older, but it has been a lifesaver. It gave her a safe place to climb and a place for us to redirect her from the couch, tv cabinet, ottoman, chairs, table, etc…

Brooke September 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I’ve heard that Stride Rite has wide shoes. My kid also has huge (and wide) feet. You might be able to find some at a consignment sale/store. Also, I felt like his feet started to slow a bit around 18 months.

I am so excited about butternut squash. Our local health food store sells butternut squash lasagna, and it’s delicious! I also just saw a great recipe for red bell pepper soup that I am hoping to try.