Wonderful Wednesdays

by Ginger on August 25, 2010

in Blogging & Social Media, Taking Pictures

It’s that time again folks, Wonderful Wednesdays. When we take a look at the good stuff in our lives to get over the hump of the week–so let’s get to it!

This week, I’m doing things bullet point style, because there’s so much I want to make sure I cover it all! Here’s what’s wonderful in my world right now:

• summer finally hit San Diego. And while that means it’s hot in our house, it also means I can finally wear the cute, flirty little sun dresses that have been languishing in my closet all summer long.
  • Tomorrow is my 31st birthday–and I’ve got no issues with it at all! 30, for all it’s emotional ups and downs, was pretty stellar, so bring on 31.
  • The Mumford & Sons album that’s on repeat is pretty great. New music is always wonderful!
  • Baby laughs, like this (audio): Baby laughs Tell me this doesn’t brighten your day!
  • Dreaming big, even though it scares me
  • I learned a simple little trick the other day for a program I’ve used for years. It was silly, and could have had the potential to make me feel dumb, but instead I was just excited that I learned something new.
  • Seeing sneak peaks of N.C.’s solo show hit (with a wonderful write up too!). Love seeing him get the press he deserves! (and that picture at the top is mine. Not too bad, right?)
  • I’ve been breaking out the camera some more lately. I’m still struggling with two pretty big issues: light and shutter speed. Well, actually, it’s less about shutter speed and more about the speed of my little wiggleworm subject. It’s HARD to photograph that kid and get the photos to turn out. And the light…unless I’m outside, in the full light of day, or using the horrible flash, I get noise and/or blur–and that’s with a full wall of windows! It’s really frustrating. That being said, I’m pulling the camera out more, and learning to embrace some of the blur. Better to have blurry photos than none at all right? Plus, sometimes I get a good one.

So folks, what’s wonderful in your world? Share your good stuff in the comments, or grab the badge and blog it up–let me know and I’ll link you when you’re done!

Wonderful Wednesdays at RambleRamble

Perpetua August 25, 2010 at 5:57 am

OH my gosh, adorable baby! He is getting so big! AND, I actually heard of that magazine, and I’m not even an “art person.” Congratulations!

KT August 25, 2010 at 6:44 am

Happy early birthday! I think that the second photo is adorable!

Lisa August 25, 2010 at 7:15 am

I love, love, LOVE baby laughs. I think there is nothing that can’t be cured by baby laughs.

The blurry photos might just be a limitation of your camera. I totally believe that people can take beautiful pictures with whatever camera is available, BUT certain situations are hard to handle without the right lens. If your camera doesn’t open to a pretty wide aperture, you’re going to have trouble in low light (and I’d say low light is pretty much anything indoors).

And happy early birthday!

Ginger August 25, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, I think I can’t push my camera to do much more when I’m indoors. If I put it on the tripod, I lose some blur, but who can get shots of a crazy active 11 month old on a tripod?
But, noisy and blurry is better than nothing…for now, until I can get a better camera 😉

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks August 25, 2010 at 7:41 am

I don’t know what kind of camera you use, but my Nikon D-90 (not a cheap camera!) has a TERRIBLE in-camera flash (and my experience is MOST cameras have horrible flashes that land you with red-eye photos that are completely washed out of natural, warm color). For Christmas last year, Sweets got me an external flash and it really makes a HUGE different with indoor shots, because you can adjust where it points, so it’s not directly in the face of your subjects. I’m guessing it’ll be invaluable when Grasshopper joins us later this year. =)

Ginger August 25, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I have to see if my camera will even work with an external flash–I have an “in between” camera that’s more than a point and shoot, and not quite a DSLR, so I’m not sure if it would work. But I definitely think that would help! It’s not like I”m able to take Jackson out into nice natural light all the time, you know?

N.C. August 31, 2010 at 12:19 am

I’m TELLING you. The second pic of the dude needs the caption:
“This is SPARTAAAAA!!!!!”