I think we need to simplify

by Ginger on August 19, 2010

in Day in the Life

If you follow me on Twitter (you do, don’t you?) you may have seen me comment the other day that I was thinking about leaving my hair stylist, who I love. Leaving her would make me sad, but lately it’s been really hard to get to see her–she only works a few evenings late enough that I can get over the salon, and that’s if I leave straight from work. That salon, which was so handy when I lived a few miles to the east, is now another in a long line of things that makes my life more complicated.

Thinking about it made me realize that we’ve complicated some things in our lives to the point where it adds a layer of stress I don’t need. My biggest battle right now is one of time management–how do I find time to do it all (and maybe have a thing or two for me–like haircuts)? Some things, it’s easy. The evening hours are generally for the kid & the house. I work on blogs & my other projects after he goes to bed, while I pump, and on my lunch break. Weekends are for family and my stuff. We’re in kind of a rhythm for that stuff.

But then there’s the LIFE stuff: hair cuts, and dr.’s appointments, and dentists visits and  getting new glasses, and taking the car to the shop. With one car, a job that’s a 45 minute commute from home, an absolute firm need to spend as much time as possible with my baby every day, and only so many hours in the day–how do you get it all done?

So I’m starting to look for solutions to simplify. My stylist, for example. There’s an eye doctor around the corner from us who is open on weekends. I’m looking for a dentist who is too. A doctor who has extended hours and is close to home (and that my husband will go to, so I only have to make scheduling calls once). Right now, simple is more important than cheap. If I have to go out of network to find a provider who doesn’t make my daily schedule look like a Rubik’s cube, I’ll do it.

So…anyone have any suggestions on how to simplify this day to day scheduling crap? What do you do to make your life easier? What can I be doing?

Tracy Lynn August 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

I generally decided which is more important in any given situation, time or money? And go with that.

Lisa August 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

We are all about doing things close to home. I used to do the same thing, my stylist was across town, it was a horrible drive to get there after work… now my stylist is about a quarter mile away. The vet is close, we’re looking at a ped that’s close… I am all about saving the time. To me, it’s not worth the savings in money if it’s a hassle to get there.

Perpetua August 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I’ve been giving some thought to “single-tasking,” but I don’t think I could do it. For one, I can’t give up drinking coffee while reading stuff online. That’s how I gear up for the day. And for two…if I don’t multi-task my around-the-house work (cleaning while talking to my mom on the phone, for example), I’ll only have time for work, never fun.

So. Um. No ideas here. 🙂

Ginger August 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Oh god, I don’t think I could pull of single tasking. I mean, I check email while I’m doing my hair in the morning, and compose blog posts while I’m driving (in my head, no worries), and do the dishes while feeding the kid…I mean, if I didn’t multitask, I’d never get to sleep. Or do anything fun. Or either.

I’m kind of freaked out by the idea even. 😉

Hilly August 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m pretty much the same way. I like to “try on” different service professionals until I find the one that is both awesome and close by. Never be afraid to change hair stylists either cause I’ve actually found a new and amazing one that way.

This morning, I flat ironed my hair while going pee. Or um, is that TOO much time management? 😉

Ginger August 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Mostly I’m just impressed with the logistics of that. I have to have a very specific position to flat iron my hair effectively, and I could NOT accomplish that while peeing. 🙂

Elizabeth August 19, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I don’t really have any suggestions, other than to say I think simplifying is a great plan. My life is fairly simple right now since I’m on a self imposed hiatus, but when things swing back and we make our next move, I’m going to try to keep everything as streamlined as possible.

KT August 20, 2010 at 9:52 am

I was JUST thinking about this last night as I sat in traffic coming back into the city from my waxing appointment. Before we moved my waxer was on the way home so it wasn’t that big of a deal. Now it is almost 30 minutes out of the way (each way). So far she is the best one that I have found in the area, but I think that I need to keep searching. Even if I only see her once a month, I would rather not hit traffic and have to drive a lot to see her.