Pieces parts

by Ginger on August 5, 2010

in Random

I feel like no one’s online this week (summer, BlogHer, vacations, back to schools, etc.), so it’s been hard to make myself write. The problem is, when I don’t write, it’s like muscle atrophy–I forget how to do it. So I’m giving you this totally random tidbits post of pieces parts that I don’t have enough to make into full posts on their own. Lucky you! (back to the good stuff soon folks, I promise!).

I was going to try to do a ControverSunday post (this week’s topic is licensed merchendise), but my brain, she is mush, so I shall just say–yes, what they all said. I occupy a weird world of working with licensed products for kids, so I kind of have to separate my work self and my home self, but my home self is a little icked out by the volume of it all. I remember remarking to N.C. “why exactly do we need Winnie the Pooh on newborn diapers?” It’s not like a newborn has a concept of Pooh (heh heh, yes I’m 12). I’m not going to say we don’t have licensed stuff, or that we won’t, but I just don’t see any need for a vast majority of it.

I’m starting to have some reduced pumping output. I’m not particularly worked up over it, other than I’m trying to determine whether to a)supplement with formula b)try and make up the lost ounce or two in solids (which is what the kid seems to want) or c)talk to my doctor about starting him on milk. Jackson is 11 months old tomorrow, he’s a big kid, no signs of any food allergies & none in the family, so I’m not sure why we couldn’t make up that ounce or two with milk rather than formula. But I’ve done less than no research on it, so I’m really just “talking” out loud here.

Speaking of the big kid, Jackson has recently started making his displeasure known. I don’t know if I can call them tantrums, but there’s definitely more crying (now with more crocodile tears than ever!) and screaming when we make him stop doing something he wants to do. Unfortunately for him, he makes the most hysterical face ever while doing it, so it’s really hard to take the tantrum seriously. Yes I’m mean and laugh at my child. I’m hoping to get a picture of that face soon to show you guys, you’ll laugh too.

The tweets and posts from BlogHer really only have me sad for two reasons: 1)I really would like to meet some of the bloggers I read in person and 2)it makes me miss New York. I don’t miss it often, but there are moments when there’s a twinge of sadness over leaving that great city (yes, smells and all). Particularly reading so many comments from first-timers–there’s nothing like re-seeing that city through a newbies eyes and remembering what that was like.

Onward and upward to better posts soon darlings. I’ve got real things to say, I just need to get back in the swing of things!

Perpetua August 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Yeah, summer is bland in blogland. I can’t get myself to write much, either. But I’m reading!

Oh, and I’ve heard of people starting kids on whole milk at 11 months. I think it all depends on how rules-oriented your doc is.

Katherine August 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Disney characters on diapers makes more sense to me than faux denim diapers.

Brooke August 5, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I too miss NY at times. Not always, but I wish I could visit at least every other year! It just has an energy that I really miss. And there are so many interesting people. I mean I can’t exactly run into Matt Lauer while walking down Main Street in Boise.

Megan August 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

I was also going to weigh in on the ControverSunday thing, and perhaps I should have, because this would have been one of those rare weeks where someone actually disagrees!

I have no problem with licensed merchandise. I totally understand everyone’s concerns, but I’m prepared for the good fight of keeping Charlotte from getting too materialistic and wanting everything she sees. That’s going to happen unless I keep her in a bubble. So, in the meantime, I’m actually enjoying her obsession with Elmo. I think it’s cute when she sees him and gets all excited. And, I love when she points to the Elmo on her shirt and says “See? SEE?” I’m getting progressively more green and “free range” in my parenting, but this is one of the ways I will probably always be “mainstream”. Ah, labels!

I gave Charlotte whole milk at 11 months (with my pediatrician’s blessing), and she did fine on it. The only problem was getting her to drink it. I wouldn’t bother with formula (not because there’s anything wrong with it, just because it doesn’t make sense to me to get him used to drinking something for a month only to have to start the process over again with milk.) Charlotte was also eating a ton of table food at 11 months, too, and I wasn’t even nursing very often, maybe 3X a day?

Anyway, this is getting regrettably long, so I’ll end it.

Oh, wait. BlogHer11! Party at your place! Woo hoo!

Okay, now I’m done. 🙂

Ginger August 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm

See, I’m ok with the licensed stuff in theory, but in practice I think it’s gone a little too far. It’s one thing to have shirts and toys, but the characters on every.little.thing is what bothers me. I saw carrot sticks with Toy Story packaging the other day. That’s kind of too far for me.
But I’ve got my fair share of stuff, and have a particular affection for all the Winnie the Pooh characters, so it’s not like I’m totally against it all.

Elizabeth August 9, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Oh, but it did smell! I enjoyed being there, but since I had only a few hours to explore and I’ve never been before, the city itself was a little overwhelming. I definitely need to go back, but I am beyond excited about checking out *your* city next year!