Since we’re all going to die

by Ginger on August 2, 2010

in I'm a Disaster, Random

I think I know the exact day I lost my mind.

Thursday, July 29th, 2010.

Shortly after I clicked on link from my twitter feed that lead me to this article: Calcium supplements may boost heart attack risk

Which had come shortly after I read this article: Disputed chemical bisphenol-A found in paper receipts

Which had come shortly after this one: BPA Exposure Worse From Canned Food Than Plastic Bottles

Which had come shortly after this: The Story of Cosmetics

All this in a 3 day time period.

So when I opened that link to the CNN article on calcium, that’s when my head exploded and I died. Which apparently is what’s going to happen to me anyway in about .32 seconds if I keep–eating, drinking, bathing, buying things, taking vitamins, and (being that I live in California) breathing air (I didn’t include an article to that one, but look around when you’re in California and you’ll see WARNING signs just about everywhere, so you know, it’s a safe bet that I’m ingesting chemicals and toxins known to cause cancer simply by living here).

Look, I get it. I want to be safe. I want my kid to be safe. I want to do right by my family. I want to be healthy and whole and not die from my fucking lipstick.

But.

But.

BUT.

I can’t do it anymore. I can’t take every warning to heart anymore. I can’t take the fear mongering, and the DANGER DANGER DANGER. Seriously, its obvious that every single fucking thing in our modern world is going to kill us. Our cell phones are going to give us brain cancer, our food is going to make us sick (in one way or another) and our medicines are going to trade one ailment for another.

So fuck it. I’m going to do the best I can with the information I have, but I’m going to stop worrying about EVERYTHING. Because it’s all going to kill us all in the end anyway, so why not enjoy some of it before I go? I can’t live in a bubble. I can’t control life to this extent. I can’t even pretend that I’m going to try–I know myself and I can’t do it. I’m going to take those things that I am personally concerned about and continue to do what I can about those, but the rest?

I give up.

Perpetua August 2, 2010 at 9:58 am

Sigh.

The BPA thing is crazy. Not necessarily untrue, but definitely crazy-making. Maybe we should just give up and move to the middle of nowhere and wait for the meteor to hit?

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist August 2, 2010 at 10:10 am

So….how do we stop worrying? I want to but I don’t know how! 😉

Lizzie August 2, 2010 at 10:15 am

Every single thing is going to kill us, from brushing our teeth to combing our hair. If we took in all of these stories as cold, hard, fact we wouldn’t be able to live our lives. It annoys me the way the media think they can print these stories, and expect us to carry on. It worries people and causes even more bad habits. For example, drinking a glass of red wine is good for you. So therefore, surely if you drink a whole bottle it’ll be even better? No. An aspirin a day is good for you. Oh no, but wait… take too many and your blood won’t clot. So… whaddya do? Just confusing and not good.

Alexis August 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

Don’t eat meat/dairy/eggs, the hormones will kill you. Don’t replace it with soy, the fake hormones will kill you. Just one more example of how life is, in fact, a terminal condition. Sure we should all take care of ourselves, but really, if I dedicated the “proper” time to all the currents threats, I would not have many hours left in which to live! I reckon vegan marathon runners die too so honestly I will just keep my head down and plug on.

Lisa August 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

My mom is the Queen of Worrywarts, she reads waaaaay too much, so naturally, she thinks everything is going to kill us. It started a family joke “People have died breathing” because every time we wanted to do something we heard how people have died doing X. I know she’s just trying to protect us, but there is a difference between doing things safely and just not doing them at all.

Alias Mother August 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

I worry, too, and avoid the obvious problems, but mostly I just pick my poison and tell myself that it used to be an accomplishment to live to 40. In some places, it still is.

The Sweetest August 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

A-men!

Elizabeth August 2, 2010 at 7:01 pm

And then, AND THEN! The hormone disruptors in in pesticides, milk, and even your dish soap will get you. Crazy world, no? I try to ignore as much as I can, and take caution within reason, but you have to keep living!

Kt August 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I hear you. I try to read up on things as much as possible and then make changes, but there really is only so much you can do without resorting to locking yourself in your house, only drinking water. You just have to find a balance.