Burning the candle at both ends

by Ginger on July 29, 2010

in Random

To say that I’m burning the candle at both ends is perhaps a bit of an understatement. Maybe if the candle had 7 different wicks, we’d be more along the lines of my reality. Here’s what I have going:

The 9 to 5
RambleRamble
The Essentials
New marketing business
Secret new project #1
Helping with N.C’s art business

And, oh yeah, the munchkin.

I feel like I’m doing ok with it on most days–I go to work, I work on blogs during lunch and pumping breaks (or while waiting for files to upload places!), I go home and spend the evening with the kid, and once he’s down for the night, I work on the rest. But lately that’s meant bedtimes for me are hovering around 1am, with wake-ups around 6, and…well, I’m tired.

Lest you think I’m complaining though, let me just say this. I’m more energized, mentally, than I’ve been in a long time. I can’t seem to stop the ideas coming, and for once in my life, I’m acting on them when they come. If there’s any reason I wish I was going to BlogHer beyond meeting some of my favorite bloggers, it’s because I have ideas! and could network! and make connections! I’m like a little whirling dervish of ideas and thoughts and I’m SO excited about it all. I just wish there were maybe a few more hours in the day.

I also really do feel, for maybe the first time ever, that I’ve actually got a shot at building something here–something that’s mine and that I’m excited about and that’s not just a hobby. Maybe it’s delusional of me, or maybe it’s a matter of wishful thinking, but I’ve got so much hope that I’m practically vibrating with the possibilities.

But I have to remind myself that burning out won’t get me any closer to my goals. Working myself to the point of falling down isn’t going to help in the long run. I have to make sure I’m doing things like sleeping and maybe even occasionally putting the computer away. I know there’s a lot to do (my to-do list is only about 3 weeks long!), but I’ve got find a balance. It’s incredibly important to me to get this all off the ground and going, but I have to do it in a way that doesn’t kill me.

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a few extra hours in the day though!

P.S. Anyone have any experience with forming an LLC? I’m starting to think we need it around here.

Perpetua July 29, 2010 at 3:41 am

Wow, way to make me feel lazy! 🙂 Seriously, it’s awesome that you’re feeling creatively fulfilled. That is just the best feeling.

Lisa July 29, 2010 at 6:44 am

I know nothing about forming an LLC, but if you find anything out, let me know. One of these days we might get around to that point.

I like the new theme BTW!

Ginger July 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Thanks! Thesis all the way 🙂 (I still need to do a lot with it, but I just couldn’t wait anymore).

And yeah, between all the stuff I’m doing, and N.C.’s business, and online sales, it seems like we might need to consider an LLC sooner or later. I’m just afraid of all the paperwork!

Megan July 29, 2010 at 11:23 am

Seriously! I’m hanging my lazy head in shame over here. 🙂

That’s awesome. I love your enthusiasm. I have a lot of it lately for my personal life, but I’m feeling sort of lost when it comes to the writing and blog, as you saw on Twitter.

What’s an LLC?

Ginger July 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

No shame! I’m a reformed lazy person myself (actually, I’d clarify that I’m still lazy, but now I’m motivated, and that’s currently trumping laziness. For now). Maybe part of it is because–like I said yesterday–I’m just acting on ideas rather than mulling and thinking and shaping. I may come across as crazy or disjointed, but at least I’m getting out there!

Oh, and an LLC is a Limited Liability Company–basically a tax and legal entity that can help hold your business dealings separate from your personal dealings. I’m just starting to research it, but given all the “businesses” we’ve got going on over here, it seems like a good idea to separate personal from professional in that sense.

Katherine July 31, 2010 at 8:32 am

So long as you have an operating agreement, name and your money an LLC is cakewalk. It really is just a couple of simple forms, just go to the CA Sec of State website. You can probably find an LLC member agreement online you can tweek to your liking.

ugg baratas chile November 6, 2015 at 3:51 am

Keep up the helpful job and generating the crowd!|