No one told me

by Ginger on June 28, 2010

in Mom Thoughts

There are lots of things we’re warned about how our bodies will change after we have a baby: things shifting, getting softer, feet growing, breasts changing. But there’s a lot of stuff no one ever warned me about. No one told me…

• Some of the smell aversions and sensitivities I had during pregnancy would remain 10 months later. I wonder now if they’re permanent (and if I’ll ever be able to wear perfume again without getting a headache).
  • My worst stretch marks wouldn’t be on my belly or boobs, but on my inner thighs.
  • Ingrown hairs in my bikini area would be something I’d have to learn to deal with for the first time ever. Especially around my c-section scar, but sadly not limited to that spot.
  • My first period after all this time would remind me of back labor so strongly.
  • My tastes might change. I used to be a mustard only girl, now I crave mayo. I used to be able to eat 1/2 a jar of pickles in a sitting, now one is more than enough.

What changes happened to you that no one warned you about?

As always, more lists can be found over at Anna’s at abdpbt!
listbutton

Perpetua June 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

You had back labor too? We should form a union, or an army 🙂

ABDPBT June 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Wait, have you weaned Jackson yet? Because some of the hormonal changes can last up to a year AFTER weaning. So any of that smell stuff you have might not be permanent. I had some weird skin problems that lasted for a long time after pregnancy, like a rash underneath my wedding ring. Now it’s gone, but it took a long time.

Honestly, I think they don’t tell you these things because nobody would have a kid if they told you everything. Plus, some of these things are so weird that people might not believe them.

Ginger June 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Oh, lordy yes with the back labor. It was…horrifically horrible. I got the fun of 17 hours of back labor AND a c-section. Fun stuff that 😉

Ginger June 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I haven’t weaned him yet–that’s good to know that it could still change (I miss my perfume, I really do!).

I just keep wishing that my pregnant skin (which was awesome) had stuck around instead of my pregnant smell issues (which weren’t/aren’t).

Lizzie June 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Feet growing?! Wow, that I did not know about! Like, do they go up a size?! I’m intrigued haha!

Elizabeth June 28, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I don’t WANT to know these things! Let me be naive for a few more months! 😉

Kate June 28, 2010 at 11:27 pm

No one told me that you’d forget things or the memories would dull… I can’t remember what Beckett smelled like those first few days. I can’t remember how sore my nipples were when we first started nursing. And, I can’t remember the feel of her against my chest while she was snuggled in deep. I lived them and breathed them and they were intensely constant those first few months, but they were like breezes – gone.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks June 29, 2010 at 10:06 am

Oooooh, thanks for the warnings. I always wondered what my friends who became parents weren’t talking about!

The Sweetest June 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm

So funny, because my pregnancy aversions stuck around, too. And 2 1/2 years later, I hate yellow mustard.