The 12 best parts about date night

by Ginger on April 19, 2010

in Family, Marriage, Mom Thoughts

1. Wearing clothes that (unless things go horribly wrong) don’t have another person’s spit-up all over them
  2. Being able to eat in a leisurely manner, rather than scarfing food down in 3 minutes flat before the baby gets into something else
  3. Those nice dangly earrings aren’t in danger of being ripped out
  4. When you sit down at the restaurant, you don’t immediately have to move everything to one side of the table out of the grasp of little hands
  5. Spending time with your significant other as a reminder of WHY you wanted to have babies with them
  6. Adult conversation that isn’t punctuated by shrieks, screams, crying, or yelling
  7. Speaking in a normal volume, rather than trying to talk over the above noises
  8. Conversing about politics, science, entertainment, family, friends, and other topics that are a reminder that there’s a world outside of the baby
  9. No shame when the conversation veers back to the kid, since you both find him totally cool
  10. Getting a night off from the dinner to bedtime marathon that is a 7month old
  11. Coming home to a quiet house, since the baby is already asleep
  12. The sweet realization that you both want to check on the baby because even though time alone is important (!), you both missed the little guy

As always, more lists can be found over at Anna’s at abdpbt!
listbutton

Mama Lungos April 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm

All of those are so very true. Great list!

Alexis April 19, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I am such a sucker for checking on them the second I get home! Love my adult time, but love my sweet babies so much too.

Great list, makes me feel a need to call the sitter…

Bluebelle April 20, 2010 at 12:51 am

One of my favourite lists ever, very sweet!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks April 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

Two things come to mind when I read this list. First, I need to tag it as a reminder to go out and go out often if/when I become a parent. And second, I could rattle off almost all those reasons for why those of us without kids choose to go out to eat later in order to miss the many tables with kids. =)

Ginger April 21, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Nilsa, we try to go out at least twice a month–even if it’s just to grab a burger and beer! We decided before Jackson was even born that having time to ourselves occasionally was a priority for us, even if it meant we had to pay good money for the privilege.

Oh, and I totally agree on the eating later thing. We did that when we didn’t have J, and do now when we have date night (or we go somewhere decidedly UN-kid friendly). When we go out with the kid we try to make it as early as possible!

Hilly April 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Awww, I am so glad you got out and enjoyed a date night!

Ally April 21, 2010 at 4:49 am