The freeway hero

by Ginger on April 7, 2010

in Random

I saw the absolute best thing today on the road.

There was a wreck on the freeway, in the left lane, which was of course blocking traffic. This forced everyone in the left lane to merge into the next lane over, which created traffic–as it does.

You could see this traffic block for a good half mile to mile away. You could SEE that the lane was blocked and that everyone was having to move over. So MOST people started moving over as soon as they saw it. However, you know how there are always those jerks who, even though they see it, will drive right up to the block and then cut over in an attempt to not sit in blocked traffic? Even though THAT is what creates the traffic? Yeah, that was happening.

And then, all of a sudden, it wasn’t. One second there are cars whizzing by on my left side, and then…there aren’t. “Hmmm,” I thought to myself. “That’s odd.”

So I look in my rearview mirror to see if I can figure out what’s going on, and there, in the most unlikely of places, is our freeway hero. About three cars behind me is a little Honda Civic that was riding the line between the two lanes–blocking off the left lane to anyone who was trying to zoom up and cut us all off! I’ve never seen anything like it–you could see all these cars come up behind him and want to go around but they couldn’t in this one spot on the freeway. By driving about 5 feet to the left, just a little over the line, this one guy stopped all those jerks from creating more traffic for the rest of us.

To you, sir, wherever you are, I tip my hat to you.

Kt April 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Ha! I do that all of the time because I HATE the people that try to fly by. 🙂

Katherine April 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

That’s my standard rush hour merge protocal.

Her April 8, 2010 at 7:56 am

I try to do that too, but it never worked in Texas. The nasty trucks would just swing past my tiny car!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks April 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm

So, my husband and I have this ongoing debate about this exact topic. One of us believes you should continue driving until forced to merge. The other sides with you and thinks it’s ridiculous and causes traffic. I won’t tell you who is on which side (though I may have blogged about this before), but I will tell you some guy did a study on this and he actually concluded that there is going to be traffic no matter what … and that you really should make the most use of that lane (i.e., merge when forced, not merge 1/2 mile back).

I’ve seen highway heroes, like yours, before, too and no matter which side of the fence I lie on, they always crack me up. =)

Hilly April 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

In a world of wankers, what an awesome guy!

Also, apropos of nothing but I love your new header!

Dana April 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

Yes, isn’t that guy a genious! I witnessed a “hero” once too! And, in his likeness, have really tried to be a hero myself.
It really stresses me out though. . . .having all of those crazies behind me, MAD AT ME!!