I hate April Fool’s Day

by Ginger on April 1, 2010

in Random

I hate April Fool’s Day. Honestly, I can’t remember ever liking it. When I was a kid, I was always petrified of practical jokes being played on me–I guess I didn’t like feeling like a fool. Probably something to do with my control issues and some past experiences.

As I got older, I realized that a lot (but not all) of practical jokes are actually just kind of mean. People don’t always think of what the outcome might be feel like to the person on the other end of the “joke”.  I mean, I get that that’s the point, but look at how many jokes are meant to scare people: pregnancy, lost my job, I’m sick, quit my job.

The few times I’ve tried to pull an April Fool’s joke on someone, it’s backfired on me, either because it was completely unsuccessful or because it was TOO successful (or played too close to people’s already entrenched ideas of me). One in particular, I spent the next 6 months refuting. Seriously.

Now, with the internet and all the social networks, April 1st is a day I generally don’t believe ANYTHING I read. Which can be frustrating when I’m trying to decide if I should actually congratulate/sympathise/encourage/cheer for some of my online friends. Or when I’m trying to do research for work on news and events.

Maybe I’m just a spoilsport. (probably pretty likely). Or just a no-fun-nick. But honestly, April 1st is just a day I don’t enjoy. I don’t like questioning this much, and feeling so suspicious. Can it be April 2nd yet?

Lisa April 1, 2010 at 11:37 am

Me too. Most of the jokes are lame to me, and it just irritates me that EVERYTHING on the internet is a “joke” today. It interrupts my daily browsing!

Megan April 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

I don’t mind the day too much, but I do think people take the whole thing too far.

I had a friend once tell me she was pregnant, and I got all happy and excited for her. When she told me she was kidding, I was really annoyed. I still think about it, and it was over five years ago! LOL

I did tell my husband once that my sister’s boyfriend walked in on me while I was naked.

That was pretty funny.

Carrie Meadows April 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

Sentiments shared.

Katherine April 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I’m still living it down.

It depends on the joke. I’m not a huge fan myself of mean spirited pranks, however we did one in the office a few weeks ago that made me laugh pretty hard. We drafted an obviously fake letter (“letter writer’s” photo was in the corner – not exactly professional and certainly not the norm for a firm we get a lot of correspondence from) to a coworker here from some guy she thinks has the hots for her (btw – everyone apparently has the hots for her). It was for an “after hours defense meeting” at McCormick & Schmick, since he’d heard “they have nice clams.”

She looked at the first line and instantly started telling everyone about how this guy has the hots for her without reading the full letter. The giant, unflappable ego was the funny part. She went on for a while until we made her read the whole letter, which she thought was funny since she prides herself as a great pratical joker.

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist April 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Awwwww. The day is almost over. I find the whole thing silly myself. Luckily everyone in my life seems to preoccupied today to notice the date!

Kathleen April 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Totally agree. I hate the day. No one likes being made a fool of, I think some people are just really good sports about it and put on a brave face and then go home and have a BIG glass of wine. I am not one of those good sport kind of people, if someone plays a joke on me I just feel like a BIG FOOL. And to boot, I am soo not imaginative enough to figure out a good, but not to devastating, one to play on anyone else. Bring on April 2nd.

sfdgsdht April 2, 2010 at 7:01 am

The worst part about hating the day is you’re looked down on as being a spoilsport if you complain. Don’t get me wrong, I have a sense of humor, but today I went to browse a website that I couldn’t because the idiot admin thought it would be funny to play a prank that basically ended up making the site’s content impossible to access for the day. When April Fool’s day gets in the way of shit getting done, there’s a problem.

Brooke April 3, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Definitely not a fan of the day either. Glad it’s over!!