Massages, pain pills, and x-rays, oh my!

by Ginger on March 11, 2010

in I'm a Disaster

So I took Thursday off. But, as you might have guessed from my title, not for any, you know, fun reason or anything. No, instead it was due to my inability to turn my head without excruciating pain. And the numbness in both my hands. And the inability to lift or hold the kid without wanting to pass out or vomit from the pain. So, you know, that kind of sucked.

So I took one of my precious PTO days to try and figure out what the hell was wrong. I got a massage, to see if that would help. It didn’t. I went to the chiropractor, to see if that would help. It helped an teensy tiny amount. And I took a pain killer (left over from my c-section). That…just made me loopy and nauseated. All in all, the day kind of sucked.

From all sources, it seems most likely that I have a pinched nerve or two. The cause is still TBD, but frankly I don’t care what is causing it, I just need it to stop. Because wanting to vomit from pain anytime I turn my head kind of isn’t doing it for me.

Bluebelle March 12, 2010 at 1:52 am

Oh no! Hope it eases up quickly.

Katie March 12, 2010 at 3:40 am

Hi Ginger!

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon! I get pinched nerves in my neck quite frequently and it is the WORST! You just feel so helpless!!

Hang in there!

~ Katie

Perpetua March 12, 2010 at 4:32 am

That’s awful! I hope you get fixed up soon!

Ally March 12, 2010 at 8:08 am

Wow, that sounds just awful. Feel better soon!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks March 12, 2010 at 11:23 am

First and foremost, how terrible to be in so much pain. I hope you are able to alleviate it quickly.

But, secondly, I find it really fascinating to read about where you turned when you were in pain. Because, to be honest, if I were in your shoes, I would’ve made an appointment to see my general practitioner first. Maybe would’ve gone to get a massage, if my GP recommended it. Definitely would not go see a chiropractor. And may or may not have taken meds, depending on how bad the pain was.

Ginger March 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Nilsa,
To be fair, part of the reason those are the routes I went? No doctor in the practice could get me in for 2 weeks. Chiropractor (who is covered by my insurance) was able to see me within hours.

Ain’t healthcare grand?

And I’m normally wary of chiropractors, which pretty much tells you how bad the pain was. Is. As is my use of pain meds–I’m not a fan of those (which is why I’ve got a bunch left over from my c-section, I hate they way they make me feel, so I rarely use them).

Lys March 17, 2010 at 10:03 am

ugh, no fun! hope you’re feeling better.