10 questions for my future self

by Ginger on January 18, 2010

in Mom Thoughts

Some questions for the future me (or any of you moms out there!):

1. How long does this hair falling out thing last? I’m kind of tired of hair everywhere.
  2. Will the breast milk leakage stop before I wean the kid, or am I stuck with lovely wet spots until then?
  3. Those night sweats–do those go away?
  4. Does the c-section scar ever stop itching?
  5. Will it ever stop being numb?
  6. Do we ever get to wear regular underwear again and be comfortable?
  7. The feet–do those ever return to their old size or should I just buy all new shoes already?
  8. Am I ever able to wear my wedding ring again, or should I just get it resized already? I mean, I’ve already lost all the baby weight, but is this like my feet, which have have spread but aren’t swollen?
  9. Are these food aversions now permanent?
  10. Will my sense of smell stop being super sensitive at any point in the future? I’m sick of everything giving me headaches, including my once loved perfume.

If I could just get the answers to these questions future self, I think we’d be good. Oh, and if you could throw in the next Powerball numbers while you’re at it, just as a little bonus, that’d be awesome!

As always, more lists can be found over at Anna’s at abdpbt!

SoMi's Nilsa January 18, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you. For those of us without children, who always wonder what it’s really like, this well-edited list of questions sure does give me some insights. Wish I had some answers for you…

abdpbt January 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

LOL

Falling out hair can last for a while, all of the hormonal stuff can take up to two years after you stop breastfeeding to totally resolve itself, but it depends on the person and it often doesn’t last that long. Hair thing was pretty quick for me, but my skin was kind of messed up for a while. Re the feet and, in my case, the rib cage, it appears to be permanent. 🙁 I would say that’s the worst of it. Underwear should be OK after a while, mostly you’re still experiencing this stuff because of breastfeeding, I think.

I didn’t have a C-section so I cannot help you on those. There are a whole other set of unpleasant consequences with a v-birth that you should be excited you don’t have, trust me.

Perpetua January 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I can’t help with the C stuff either, but as for the hair: I had my son in April, hair started falling out in clumps a few months later, and it stopped by October, I think. Now I’ve got lovely regrowth that sticks up all around my hairline and cannot be tamed. 🙂

Katherine January 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I certainly have never had a child, but have experienced night sweats for the last 10 years; so good luck with that going away.

Alias Mother January 19, 2010 at 7:39 am

1) Depends. Mine lasted a month or two, but as mentioned above, the regrowth period weren’t none to pretty neither.
2) It will stop. Eventually.
3) Yes.
4) Yes.
5) Maybe. Mine did. Others don’t.
6) Yes.
7) a. No. b. Yes.
8) The outlook is hazy.*
9) Without a doubt.*
10) My sources say no.*

* These answers brought to you via my Magic 8 Ball.

Accidents January 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm

1) Not sure, I don’t remember my hair falling out at all. But I do have the “quail hairs” problem, where tufts of new growth come in at the noticeable hair line and stick up weirdly through my regular hair. Better? Worse? Not sure.
2) It should, but I’m not the right one to ask. I have to wear breast pads every day, and Hank is approaching a year. A friend of mine has an exclusively breastfed 3 month old and (past the first week or two) has never leaked. One of us is a freak. I’m not sure which one, though.
3, 4, 5) Can’t speak to, though I had different problems and have my own set of “will I ever…” and “will X ever…” [like, for instance, “will I ever feel like initiating sex again?” which is one HUGE for instance]
6) “Regular underwear” for me is comfortable cotton underwear, like we’re talking HANES, but at least it’s the still lame but not granny “hipsters” type underwear. so, YES! immediately! and much smaller! (except I didn’t have a c-section wound, so might not be the same). If you wear nicer, more adult underwear than me, I don’t know.
7, 8) I’m one of those whose feet and hands didn’t change, or ever swell hardly at all. But before ANYONE envies me I’d happily trade up many shoe sizes to not have a stomach that is 99% angry looking stretch marks. There is almost no regular skin left, only creased, still purple, scar.
9) I think so, at least mine have been so far. And one of them includes most alcohol which makes me so, so sad.
10) Got this horribly with pregnancy, still have a slightly improved sense, but mostly it’s gone. So there’s hope for you, I think.

Um, I’m a bad person to ask, apparently.

Accidents January 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I would like to say, for the record, that that emoticon was the number 8 and a parenthesis when I wrote that.

In other words: un-authorized-emoticon-use, Internets.