Bullets to blog by

by Ginger on January 13, 2010

in Blogging & Social Media, Oh Baby!, Random

I’m completely done with today.Work is officially trying to kill me. I’m trying to launch 4 websites by the end of this month, completely overhauling one e-commerce shopping cart, updating our database, planning our big conference for February, running a contest, getting 3 catalogs created and oh yeah, all the day to day crap that apparently no one else can do. I’m toast, and thus, you get blogging by bullet point.

• I feel like I’m the only blogger on the internet who doesn’t consider herself a writer. I mean, I write (obviously) but I have no great drive to write the next great American novel. I’d rather read it. Honestly, I’m sure those of you who ARE writers come to this site and feel assaulted by the over (and incorrect) usage of hypens, em dashes, ellipses, and commas. I’m sorry–I tend to write the way the voice in my head sounds–but since I have no inclination to be a Writer with a capital W, that’s how I roll.
  • There are a lot of blog posts about privacy, and boundaries and such rolling through my reader. It seems like this comes up en masse every few months. It always makes me think, but I’m pretty happy with where my own privacy boundaries have been drawn. Do I sometimes wish I could unload my deepest darkest thoughts for the cathartic release that might provide? Yes, of course. But I’m pretty much a peace keeper in real life, so I would never want to put something on the internet that might result in upset or angry confrontation in person. But DAMN would I like to sometimes.
  • To that same end, password protected posts irritate the hell out of me. Honestly, I get the purpose, but every time I see one I always just think “Why even bother to press publish?” I get writing it–you should see my drafts folder full of things I want to get off my chest–but why publish if you’re not going to make it available to everyone? It also has that whiff of clique-ness, like hey this is only for my REAL internet friends, not the rest of you. It doesn’t bother me enough to stop reading someone, but it does bother me.
  • I’m full on bombarded by mommy guilt this week (which has a lot to do with the work situation I know). I kind of feel like I’m not making any of the right decisions, or that I’m making them for selfish reasons, or that I’m not in-tune enough with the kid. All of which is crap, I know in my logical mind. But shit if it’s not killing me anyway.
  • Why have we made some of the “simple” things in our kid’s lives–like eating and sleeping and playing–so damn complicated? Everything must be researched, and weighed, and what is so and so doing, and is this ok, and shit if I do this will he grow up smart, and ARGHHH I’m going to permanently damage my child if I do/don’t do X. I’m totally guilty of it myself, of course, I just don’t know WHY we make it so hard. I have to tell myself to shut off my brain after a certain point, and just do what feels right for my kid, in this instance, with the knowledge that I have and what I believe.  I just wish I didn’t have to tell myself that, I wish I just did it.

And to round out this blog post, YAY, a baby photo!

Jacksoncutie

Bluebelle January 14, 2010 at 1:35 am

He looks gorgeous, happy and healthy. I’d say you’re doing perfectly at parenting! One thing people always seem to tell me when we talk about having children (which I don’t yet, so feel free to completely ignore me on this topic) is that they wish they’d relaxed more and not worried about doing everything “right”. Oh and password protected posts totally bug me too. Why bother?!

Breigh January 14, 2010 at 2:15 am

Naw you aren’t the only one, I don’t claim to / want to be a writer either. Oops, I mean Writer hehe

I have a friend who does password protected posts a lot, and I don’t mind because I have the password. When I see other people doing it I get all pissed off because you know you are being left out of something good. It’s like “Oh look I have something SO interesting to write about that I have to hide it from YOU”. OH bite me.

Your little one is adorable, btw 🙂

Hilly January 14, 2010 at 5:01 am

Puhhhlease, I don’t consider myself a writer at all. In fact, I never had aspirations for a book deal like most bloggers in the world. It’s odd that I actually got offered the book deal, heh. I am struggling with it though because I fear that my overuse of ellipses and commas may make them change their minds!

Also, I don’t read password protected posts, even when people email me the password. I’m either annoyed or lazy. Or both.

Lastly, your kid? Cutest thing ever.

KT January 14, 2010 at 6:13 am

Cute picture!

I don’t consider myself a writer either. My blog isn’t super popular which leads me to believe that it’s a good thing that I don’t have any book aspirations!

Ally January 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

Sounds like you are having a rough week! Your little guy looks happy, healthy and completely squeezable, so it seems like you’re doing just fine on that front. I think people like to make things overcomplicated in general, and all the parenting advice and over analyzing is just an example of that.

I consider myself a decent writer, but I try to keep it casual on my blog. I think there is a time and a place for perfect grammar and punctuation — certain posts, even — but I don’t go crazy. As for password protected posts, are they common? I don’t think I have one feed in my reader where people password protect their posts. I would definitely feel left out if they did!

lisa January 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I don’t consider myself a writer either. I also write the way the voice in my head sounds. I think of it more as sitting down and having a conversation than sitting down and writing a letter.

Personally, I’m a fan of password protected posts. There are some things that I would love to share with my readers, but I’d rather not be out there where just anyone can stumble across it at any time. I’d be happy to share with lurkers that ask even, I just really don’t want my boss to stumble across my blog one day and read my work rants:-)

Ali January 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Oh, I hear (and agree with) you on the blog cliques sometimes. Sigh, even on the internet…

Your baby is adorable!!! Look at that face.

SoMi's Nilsa January 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’ve only written one password protected post, because like you, I generally feel like if I can’t put it out there for all to read, maybe it doesn’t belong on my blog. Maybe instead it belongs in my drafts or if I really do want some feedback, then in an email to some of my friends.

But, that one time I wrote a protected post? I wrote it because I wanted to monitor who was reading that post. For the girl who is a known blogger to her family and friends, I sometimes forget who reads my blog and who doesn’t (most of my real life family/friends don’t ever comment on my blog and I don’t know they’re reading until weeks later when they make reference to my blog). I was hoping some IRL people I know wouldn’t ask for the password. Most didn’t. And when my dad did ask for it, at least I could be prepared for any comments coming from him.

Otherwise, I do agree with you, down with the overuse of passwords. And pictures of babies make everything better anyway … glad you could end on a positive note. =)