Who needs to pack?

by Ginger on March 24, 2009

in Random

One of the things I’m finding interesting about this move coming up is the lack of incentive I seem to have about packing. Normally when we move I find myself more easily coerced into packing up all of our stuff than I have been this time. We move into our new place in 2 weeks, and we haven’t really even delved into the depths of packing that needs to happen.

But this morning, I think I figured out why I’ve been so blase about the logistics of this move. See, this is the first move in quite a while that isn’t a major, multi-state endeavor. Instead of moving across the country, we’re moving about 10 minutes away. Instead of having to make sure that our belongings will survive many hours, days, weeks in boxes….I’ve got to motivate myself to even put some of it IN boxes.

Our last move? New Jersey to California. 2800 miles.

The one before that? Connecticut to New Jersey. About 60 miles (While not far in mileage,most of my belongings had been in boxes for 6 months at this point, so an additional 3-4 hours on New Jersey, New York and Connecticut roadways was just the ending point.)

Before that? Arizona to Connecticut. 2500 miles.

This move? 11 miles.

Add to that the fact that we already have access to the property to drop things off, and I’m finding it hard to worry too much about packing the way I normally would. Why bother, when I could just fill the car up with armfuls of stuff and unload it about 8 minutes later? Why worry about over-zealously padding our dishes and glassware and knickknacks when the trip is literally just down the street?

Of course, that’s not the best approach, I know. We’re grown ups, and have grown up things that need to be moved cautiously and carefully. I would cry if our things got broken, damaged or mashed. I also realize that it’s a little easier for people to lift boxes that house your life rather than armloads of stuff (talk about a long moving day!). But I am finding it difficult to motivate myself to pack more than one or two boxes at a time.

Anyone want to come over and help me pack?

Hilly March 25, 2009 at 5:35 am

We’ve moved three times to three different places in Irvine. I usually can pack the house up in a week and totally don’t hurry either!

Hilly´s last blog post..The “Divorce Girl” Heads East…

SoMi's Nilsa March 25, 2009 at 4:46 am

This post reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend earlier this week. Her husband and she are moving across the street. And he wants to pay the movers to pack their belongings. He might have you trumped on lack of motivation to pack. =)

SoMi’s Nilsa´s last blog post..BlogDrive

belle March 25, 2009 at 5:35 am

All of our moves have been like that and we don’t bother packing. We leave clothes in drawers and just take the drawers out of the dresser. Wrap plastic wrap around our DVD stands to hold everything in and then just move the whole thing. Everything else just gets thrown in to clothes baskets. It makes the unpacking MUCH easier!

belle´s last blog post..Wrinkles at 29. Help me please?

Scott March 25, 2009 at 9:57 am

I’ll help ya move but not pack. We moved about two blocks away last time and did it the “one car load at a time” way. I recommend NOT doing it like that.

Bluebelle March 25, 2009 at 10:03 am

I love packing, and unpacking too. Moving house is one of my favourite things. Although so far I’ve only done it as a student so maybe as a grown-up (with lots of grown-up things like you said!) it won’t be so much fun!

Bluebelle´s last blog post..Owl Owls

Katherine March 25, 2009 at 12:12 pm

The last move I made most of my stuff was in boxes already and they gave me a way bigger truck than I needed. Even with that it was a pain in the ass. But let me know if you need help, I’ll be happy to come down. Ok, more like willing to come down.

Jessica March 25, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Ugh I hate moving. The last big move was to Chicago, which was tough but moving within the city is harder because motivation is so much lower.

Jessica´s last blog post..Being the single girl at a wedding