8 tips for landlords from a possible tenant

by Ginger on March 2, 2009

in Home is Where the Heart Is

N.C. and I are looking for a new place to live, which means the dreaded hunt for available rentals. I already mentioned my disdain for Craigslist lately, but after spending Sunday driving around looking at neighborhoods and a few properties, I’ve got some words for would be landlords.

1. There is a line between “I’m sorry for the mess, we’re busy packing” and “Oh dear god, did something in that pile of clothes just move?”
  2. If your ad says open house from 1-3, maybe you should go ahead and stick with those hours.
  3. It’s fantastic when a house has character. I’m all for character. But there is a point at which character is just code for “bat-shit insane features you will hate”.
  4. If your property hasn’t been updated since 1942, why on God’s green earth do you think you can command market value? I actually saw a sign over one stove warning against using the stove due to the age. Ummmm, what?
  5. I understand the reasons for saying no pets to a renter, I really do, but if there’s no need to be nasty if we just ask the question.
  6. I know as a landlord, you have a right to be wary of folks before they prove themselves as renters. But you maybe don’t need to be a total douchebag before we even say hello. I’ll gladly take my deposit elsewhere.
  7. If your list of rules for the property is longer than the ad describing it, and somewhat arbitrary (i.e. no rock music is ever to be played on the property, no more than 5 people allowed on the property at one time), understand that some people are going to think you’re crazy.
  8. Remember, in lots of cases, you’re dealing with grown-ups. I understand renters can screw with your property, but honestly, some of us are just looking for a place to call home.

If you want to read some more lists (that may not even be as bitter as mine!), check out abdpbt:
listbutton

abdpbt March 2, 2009 at 11:41 am

No rock music? Are you looking to move to the town from Footloose? Also, #4 is scary. I think they have laws about that kind of stuff.

abdpbt´s last blog post..18 Baby Gift Ideas For Your Neighbor Who Just Had Octuplets

J. March 2, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Weird. Since you’re in CA, I’d think landlords would be more careful. Random rules like how many people can be on the property at one time are likely to cause lawsuits. Which you might want to consider if you have a friend who’s an attorney. 🙂

J.´s last blog post..Three 80’s Songs and Their Specific Meaning To Me

Hilly March 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

As someone looking for a new place, I applaud you. I love it when they say the house is “charming” and had some “original features”. Yeah, okay so it’s a dump. Thanks.

Hilly´s last blog post..Your Puppet On A String…

Emily March 2, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Every landlord should read this list!

Emily´s last blog post..Top Five Pieces Of Art I’ve Created

Kim March 2, 2009 at 6:50 pm

This was a great list! The pets thing is sooooooo true.

Kim´s last blog post..Two Themes, Same Result

eliz March 2, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I once had a landlord who tried to dictate how many people could be in the house at a time. She also told us, with a straight face, that no one could spend the night and we weren’t allowed to have anyone park in the driveway. What the hell? She also made us responsible for tending the yard, and it was right after college, and we were too broke to pay for a lawn service, so my roommate and I had to drive to her house, get her lawnmower, put it in my roommate’s car, drive back to our house, cut the lawn, drive to a gas station to put gas in the mower and then return it.

I have NO idea why we put up with all that. I guess landlords make up these crazy rules bc there actually are morons who follow them.

eliz´s last blog post..Things I Considered Giving Up (or Doing) for Lent

Meg March 9, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I loved this list! I think you should read my “worst experience in my life” blog. http://megsie1979.blogspot.com/2009/03/worst-experience-of-my-life.html

It’s a total rant but you’ll see why. 🙂

Meg´s last blog post..March currents….