Living out of a hotel is exhausting

by Ginger on February 10, 2009

in The 9-5

Well, I’ve been in New York a few days. I got lucky and it’s been nice here…well, nice for February anyway. It’s supposed to get colder next week, but honestly, by that time, I’ll probably be more sick of living in a hotel than the weather.

Living out of a hotel always seems like it’s going to be great. What’s not to like? You don’t have to clean up, you can have food delivered to your door, they’ll call you to wake you up, etc. You have no responsibilities like changing the catbox or doing dishes or playing with the cat or making sure your husband wakes up in time.

But honestly, I find it exhausting. Let’s ignore for the moment that I’m here for business, and I have to spend 11 nights sharing a room with a coworker. Let’s ignore the fact that I’m in one of the busiest most hectic cities around. Let’s ignore that it’s not my bed or my pillows. No beyond those things, I find it tiring for a quite literal reason:

I don’t sleep very well without my husband in bed with me.

I know, it sounds silly right? But this holds true at home too, when N.C. stays up too late and doesn’t come to bed utnil the wee small hours. Even though I may go to bed, I don’t sleep deeply until he’s in bed too. So in a hotel, by myself in a bed? The first few nights are torture. I’ll be exhausted, dog tired from the travel, wishing desperately for bed. But the second my head hits the pillow, I’m wide awake. I fidget. I toss and turn. Basically, I just don’t sleep well.

You’d think it would eventually catch up with me right? That I’d get so tired that I’d finally just crash? Well, sure, it does. Eventually. It just usually takes about 5 or 6 nights. Most of the time when I travel for business, I’m not around for that long! This time, yes that will be handy for the latter part of my trip, but that is a rarity.

I really can’t wait to get back to my husband, my bed, my kitty, and get a decent nights sleep.

lucklys February 10, 2009 at 9:51 pm

i’m the same way with my guy. i’ll go to bed a whole hour earlier than him sometimes, but unless he’s in the bed with me, i won’t be able to even keep my eyes closed.

it’s taken me a while to get used to new york, too, and i’ve been here a year. i still can’t stand all the noise from traffic and people rooting around in the recycling cans. i miss silence.

lucklys´s last blog post..grace in small things 5:365

Ally February 11, 2009 at 6:12 am

I am definitely the same way. My husband used to travel a lot for his job, and it took a while to get used to sleeping alone, but now I’m okay with it. However, if I’m the one that’s away without him, I have a very hard time sleeping in a strange bed without him. I’m definitely a homebody!

Emily February 11, 2009 at 7:54 am

Hi, I found your blog through Single. I am sure living out of a hotel is exhausting indeed. 🙁 I hope you can get home soon and get a good night’s sleep!

Cat February 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I miss the a.m. wakeup poke in the leg. Hotels just aren’t that personal, you know?

Have a safe trip home!

Cat´s last blog post..I Want 18 Kids Now, Or At Least My Virginity Back

N.C. February 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I miss you too, baby. I never get any great sleep for awhile, though it’s also of course due to the fact that you keep me responsible!

Come home soon!

N.C.´s last blog post..It’s not Mac great…

Jessica February 11, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I always though living out of the hotel would be like Eloise in the Plaza, but work travel is tough. Sounds exotic but it’s exhausting and twice as hard as being in the office.

Jessica´s last blog post..Purple nail polish and bloggers

deutlich February 12, 2009 at 8:28 am

it takes me forever to get accustom to beds & new places in order to sleep well.

it’s kind of annoying.

Shop Girl* February 15, 2009 at 9:30 am

I found your blog through 20 Somethings… and I am EXACTLY the same way you are! We hardly even touch each other when we sleep (we sleep on opposite sides of the bed) but I just need to know he’s there in order to sleep.

It’s kinda funny how that works…

Shop Girl*´s last blog post..Sharing the Love*