Like slamming my head into a brick wall

by Ginger on January 8, 2009

in Blogging & Social Media

I have a horrible case of writers block. I feel like I’ve been slamming my head into a brick wall over and over for the past few days to make the words come out on the screen. Well, that’s not entirely accurate. I have lots and lots of things I WANT to write about, lots of words that are practically spilling from my fingers just waiting to be typed out. But all of those things, every last one of them, are about things I’m not sure how to appropriately address in this public forum. Things about my family, the health of certain members of my family (or more accurately, my reaction to those health issues), my job, my personal life, etc, etc.

But those are all things that have a bit of invisible wire fencing around them in my head when it comes to blogging. When I set out to do this blogging thing, I put certain guidelines down about what I would and wouldn’t write about. Topics I wouldn’t delve into. Whether that was to protect my family and friends and job, or because I felt it wasn’t fair for me to expose other people in a public way without their knowledge/approval, I have these lines drawn in my head that I’m not comfortable going past.

So I’m stuck with a lot of thoughts in my head that I can’t talk about. Or haven’t figured out how to talk about yet and still retain those boundaries I set for myself. I can’t seem to think about anything else, so I’ve got to figure out what to do, or I’ll be stuck with no blog content forever! (ok, I’m being a little melodramatic, but seriously, it’s a problem!). And frankly, it’s not so great with work either…

Bloggers, writers, have you had moments where life refuses to let you think of anything but those things you can’t/won’t write about? What do you do?  I’m not really a paper journal type of person either, so any suggestions besides that? Or should I just take a break until my mind finally moves on?

Amy January 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm

on wordpress, I can type a post & then change the ‘visibility’ to private before publishing it. that makes me feel better – and gives me a blog-like outlet to talk about things I really can’t talk about.

Of course, there’s also Anna’s bathroom wall for anonymous posting with user comments!

belle January 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I’m like you, I just get stuck because I don’t know how else to get the thoughts out of my head. If it’s something about me that is embarrassing (which has to be pretty bad considering I wrote about my colon today) or deals with work, I’ll write it and password protect it. But there are so many times that I wanted to vent about something, or discuss something and get opinions, but it involves someone else and I really try not to talk about other people’s personal lives on the internet.

Cee January 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Sometimes when I want to write about something but I’m not quite sure of how I want to structure it or say it, I just start typing.

Then I just save it (non published) and do other things. Later, I’ll revisit it and many times I end up changing the form of it before publishing it… or just not publishing it all-together.

Even if “later” is a day or week later, that’s totally OK 🙂

Cee´s last blog post..Law #3 of Corporate Rockstardom

Kim January 9, 2009 at 9:01 am

When I can’t write, I try and do something else creative. I edit pictures, I make a collage, I crochet (every so often). As long as you’re creating, the pent up energy will subside and eventually you’ll find your groove.

Kim´s last blog post..Character Profile: The Mister

Nilsa January 9, 2009 at 11:09 am

I think it’s very smart of you to think about what you write and whom else it might affect. I think there are many bloggers out there who don’t, particularly those who who think they are safe under the veil of anonymity. I’ve heard far too many stories of those people’s identities being outed.

It sounds like you gain something through the act of writing. It is therapeutic. Cathartic. Just because you can’t write it publicly doesn’t mean you can’t write. Put your thoughts down into words, as if you were going to write about *everything* on your blog. And then decide what to do … maybe the mere act of writing takes a weight off your shoulders … maybe emailing it to confidants will help (I’m always a good listening ear =) )… and maybe you figure out a way to censor it enough to post to your blog. In any case, at least you get to write!

Nilsa´s last blog post..Beauty

Elizabeth January 9, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I have been having times like this lately, so I have taken many breaks. I feel pretty good for it, but there are always times where I would like to write about something but can’t because everyone I know reads.

It’s definitely good to consider your boundaries–I’ve had problems deciding what is or isn’t share-able, and that’s definitely something that affects how I blog.

Elizabeth´s last blog post..Back in Austin!

Kat Argonza | Tough Girl 101 January 10, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I write a letter and mail it to Guile. He is my confidante, after all.

Kat Argonza | Tough Girl 101´s last blog post..Formal balls