Crazy neighbors

by Ginger on November 13, 2008

in Home is Where the Heart Is

I’m dragging today, and all thanks to my downstairs neighbors. They like to make dinner around 1am (oh, dear god the smells), but more than that, 1am is their “socializing” time. Since they’re all boys, of course their voices travel. Yeah, so not much sleep for me last night.

When I think about it, I’ve had lots of issues with neighbors since I started renting. There were the folks who lived above us that I swear must have had cement blocks strapped to their feet (here’s a hint…if you live in a 100 year old building with hardwood floors…buy a rug or two. And try not to stomp. If the stuff on my walls is falling off because you’re making them shake, you’re doing it wrong). The guy who lived below us who thought he was a dj and would “practice”…at 7am on Sunday. The guys who lived below us who played dodgeball in their living room from about 10pm until 2 am. But of course, these are minor compared to some of the crazy neighbors I’ve had.

It started way back in my junior year of college. That year, I lived in a house with 3 other girls. The house was nice (enough), but it was in the ghhhhheeetooooo. Seriously, there were drug dealers and crooked cops and crazy shit would happen all the time. We’d wake up and there would be liquor bottles in our mailbox. On a Tuesday. But the craziest was when what we think was a drug bust happened two doors down. Cops parked on our lawn, swat teams busting down doors, etc. Ah, what four naive white chicks put up with for cheap rent and a big backyard.

The next year, we moved to a nicer part of town, into an apartment. I loved that apartment, except for one thing. The floors were apparently made of cardboard or something. We could hear everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, our downstairs neighbors did in their bedrooms. Like when the guy living below me apparently had two or three girls over. It got pretty dirty, let me tell you. Penthouse had nothing on that guy.

The following year after graduation, I moved into these so-called “luxury” apartments. But luxury apparently doesn’t keep the crazy away. Like the guy who thought his ex-girlfriend lived in my apartment. The guy who had a restraining order, but came banging on my window at midnight anyway demanding that I come out or he’d have to come in and get me? Yeah, that was fun. (He figured out he had the wrong apartment after about 5 minutes and then went and harassed her. She called the cops. Fun stuff.)

Of course, the kicker came that year as well. One night, my husband (then boyfriend) and a friend were over watching tv. We hear some loud, weird noises, but we’re engrossed in the show, so ignore it. Cut to an hour later, when the show is over and friend is going to leave. He walks outside  to a cadre of cops, police tape, and buzzing activity. Oh, and he’s not allowed to go anywhere until he gives a statement to the cops. Um, wtf? As it turns out, the noises we heard? A disgruntled cop killing his ex-wife’s lover and then turning the gun on himself. Yeah, crazy shit. That one wigged me out for quite a while (and I always wondered if they had to divulge that to whoever rented the apartment next? Cuz it was rented out like a month and 1/2 later).

Ah, crazy neighbors…how I wish I didn’t have so many stories about you. Someone please tell me I’m not alone in the curse of the bat-shit insane neighbors!

Amy November 13, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I, too, have had some crazy apartment living. But I have to say, the one question that stuck in my head, “Were the liquor bottles full? Of liquor?”

Amy´s last blog post..Damn! It feels good to be an early bird

Cat November 13, 2008 at 12:45 pm

These days, our neighbors keep to themselves. We’re lucky. Before, we had the people who banged on the wall when we turned out TV up to a volume that human ears can hear…but it was only a problem on the weekends. Weeknights? I guess they didn’t mind.

Cat´s last blog post..I’ve Never Had Unpaid Confidants

Ally Marie November 13, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Wow! Those are some crazy stories! Makes me wonder what I’m going to run into when I go back to renting.

Sara November 13, 2008 at 2:06 pm

This is REALLY morbid I know, but who cleans an apartment after something like that happens in it? Seriously, there has to be a huge mess. Are the owners responsible for cleaning it or is there some cleaning service you can call?? Again I know, morbid and possibly totally inappropriate…

Sara´s last blog post..Wake Up Call To Me…Sara You ARE NOT Adventurous!

Katherine November 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Haha, the girl under my room was quiet.

My neighbor now seems to wash all of his clothes in the kitchen sink because he’s always standing there shirtless when I come home at night. He also likes to complain that I make a lot of noise during hours I’m sleeping.

Jessica November 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm

God I hate neighbors. That is so rude when they do that at 1 a.m. and then are surprised that oh wait, not everyone is up at this time. Wha???

Jessica´s last blog post..The fall transition phase

Tough Girl Kat November 13, 2008 at 6:53 pm

I have had nosy neighbors. They come by and always wanted me to socialize with them and hang out with them and get into my life. They wanted to hug me and shit… i’m one of those people that have an incredible issue with PDA. I have a very strong sense of personal space, so when they came by “just to check on me” or “just to chat” I wanted to kill them.

Tough Girl Kat´s last blog post..I iz sick

Ginger November 14, 2008 at 11:23 am

@Amy Of course, I forgot to answer that very important question! Most of the time, they were mostly empty, but with a little bit left in the bottom of the bottle. Although I think once there was an unopened bottle of Peach Schnapps.

@Cat That seems totally backwards from most of the problems I’ve had. Weekends were problematic? Weird.

@ Ally Marie. Ah, the joys of renting!

@Sara Hey if you’re morbid, I am too. I used to wonder the same thing, but now I know that there are companies that do it. You can make total bank too (cuz really, not many people want that job).

@Katherine as your old roommate, I know for a fact that you are the loudest sleeper ever 😉 All that, you know, sleeping.

@Jessica. If only I could train all my neighbors!

@Tough Girl Kat I don’t love the super close neighbors either. But then, I’ve obviously been burned a little by the crazy!

Cabe Nelson November 14, 2008 at 1:53 pm

DAAAANG GINA!!! You gots some pretty messed up neighbors alright and your LUCK! It sounds like my luck with cars. I’ve had my car broken into or stolen 11 times…. 11 TIMES!!!!! COME ON! It’s just a joke now and I’ve come to expect it.
“Hey dude, that guy’s stealing your car!”

” hmm… it happens.”

Cabe Nelson´s last blog post..PHOTO CHALLENGE THURSDAY! B&W ARCHITECTURE

Cabe Nelson November 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm

“DAAAANG GINA!!!”
(BTW I know it’s GINGER but it was a throw back to the Martin Lawrence show in the 90’s)

Cabe Nelson´s last blog post..PHOTO CHALLENGE THURSDAY! B&W ARCHITECTURE

Daisy November 15, 2008 at 10:55 am

I’ve had some odd neighbors, but your stories beat mine by a country mile!! We lived in a duplex for nine years when our kids were young, and we were lucky to have mostly good people in the other half. We’re contemplating buying an older home that’s divided into flats; I’m not so sure I’m ready to be a landlord!

Daisy´s last blog post..Feeling a bit testy