14 songs that move me

by Ginger on November 10, 2008

in Entertain Me

This morning on the way to work, 3 of my “other drivers are going to look at me funny” songs came on. You know those songs (don’t you?), the ones where you can’t refrain from not only belting the song out at the top of your lungs, but you also find yourself grooving along? Dancing, or pretending to play drums, or air guitar?

Ah, come on, it can’t just be me…

I’m one of those people that sings and dances in the car anyway, though I try to be sort of mellow and discreet about my grooving out most of the time. But there are certain songs that when they come on…well, I know I’m going to be getting strange looks from other drivers. I’m going to crank the volume, sing at the top of my lungs, dance and generally make a fool of myself. Thank goodness I’ve got a car now…people used to really look at me funny on the subway!

Anywho, today’s list is inspired by the music that moves me, so let me present:

14 Songs That Make Other Drivers Look at Me Funny!*

1. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen: Ok, this is of course, the ultimate in car rock god songs. Even ignoring the scene from Wayne’s World, who doesn’t feel the need to rock out to this song? Queen actually has a lot of songs like this (We are the Champions, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race…oh the list goes on), but this is the ruler of them all.
  2. Viva la Vida, Coldplay: I love this song, and it never fails to make me happy (lyrical content notwithstanding). Something about the bouncy tempo…
  3. Money, Pink Floyd: There are actually several Floyd songs that get this treatment, but Money was the original. The opening with the cash registers? Brilliant, and a perfect cue to bump up the volume.
  4. Many Shades of Black, The Raconteurs: What’s not to like? You get to rock out with some attitude and break out the bitchiness…in the safety of your car.
  5. Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Smashing Pumpkins: For the days you’ve got a little anger or frustration to share. The screams toward the end of the song are particularly gratifying.
  6. Sex on Fire, Kings of Leon: OMG this song. I was rocking out to this song in the McDonalds drive-thru today, so I get double points for the drive through workers and the people behind me!
  7. Carry On Wayward Son, Kansas: Cheesy, yes, but it must be included. Don’t judge me! It’s perfect for those air guitar solos.
  8. Since You’ve Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson: This is not a song I wanted to like. This is not a song I wanted to include. But if I’m going to be truthful…I’ve got to include it. I turn all little girl teeny bopper when this song comes on.
  9. Dead Man’s Party, Oingo Boingo: Oingo Boingo is supremely underrated if you ask me. This song is fun, a little creepy…it’s kind of like Halloween for everyday!
  10. Dashboard, Modest Mouse: One of the great driving songs, plus it’s got great grooves to dance along to…
  11. SexyBack, Justin Timberlake: Yes, please do bring the sexyback Mr. Timberlake. I will allow it. If you wanted to bring it back to my place, that’d be cool too… (don’t mind my husband over there).
  12. Crazy, Gnarls Barkley: Ok, I know this song is completely overplayed and passe now, but I still love it. It’s for that sort of mellow, head bobbing gettin your groove on kind of day.
  13. Around the World, Daft Punk: Daft Punk is another one that has a zillion songs that I can include on this list, but Around the World was probably the first Daft Punk song I recognized that I liked, so it gets nostalgia points.
  14. Live and Let Die, Paul McCartney: Some would argue that the Guns N Roses version of this song is better, but I have to give the nod to Sir Paul. This is one of those songs that builds and builds, then releases, then builds and builds, then releases…awesome for any car rocker.

This list is in no way all inclusive…trust me, there are more 80’s hits and hair band songs that fit the bill, plus some techno adds and hip hop. This is a from the top of my head/ipod list…there are really tons and tons more! What are some of your favs?

*Thanks to my company blocking all things streaming media, I can’t link to any of these songs…sorry bout that!

listbutton

Becky November 10, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Great list! I love Viva la Vida too. And I will even confess that I like that Kelly Clarkson song.

Becky´s last blog post..13 Bits of Info About My Mystery Neighbors

amy November 10, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Viva La Vida, Sex On Fire and Sexyback totally do it for me too. Embarrasingly, Callin’ Baton Rouge by Garth Brooks gets me all hopped up too and Stronger by Kanye West.

amy´s last blog post..Work worries

Katherine November 10, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me!

PauvrePlume November 10, 2008 at 2:50 pm

AWESOME! Once upon a time when I used to frequent a gym, I made a “Gym” playlist with all these head-bopping songs that would magically make me ellipticize (?) faster and totally get into it. I think Kelly Clarkson had at least 3 songs on my playlist (“Since You’ve Been Gone” was definitely 1 of the 3), and not just J-Timberflake’s “SexyBack” but also ‘NSync’s “Dirty Pop” was on it! Shh, don’t tell!!!
🙂

PauvrePlume´s last blog post..Blue and Pink and Gender-Specific Baby Clothing

KJ November 10, 2008 at 9:41 pm

You look over at the car next to you and see a girl singing along and alternating between steering wheel drums and air guitar. You can just make out the familiar strains of Boingo singing, “it’s a dead man’s party…”. Yep, that girl will be me. 🙂

Fun list!

KJ´s last blog post..Cock-a-hoop

Typ0 November 11, 2008 at 1:24 am

I love “Bittersweet Symphony” by the Verve. Let the car dancing begin! 🙂

Typ0´s last blog post..Whither Words

Tough GIrl 101 November 11, 2008 at 4:28 am

Bohemian rhapsody- classic!

Tough GIrl 101´s last blog post..Home Insurance

Lisa's Chaos November 11, 2008 at 9:36 am

OH yeah I have those songs too and they’re usually included on my mp3 as they’re great workout songs. 🙂 They get the blood pumping and the body wiggling. 🙂 And don’t tell anyone but Britney Spears version of I love rock-n-roll does it for me too – and I don’t even like her!

Lisa’s Chaos´s last blog post..Elegant Water Orchid

Sara November 11, 2008 at 10:17 am

I’ve been known to rock out to el scorcho by weezer and damnit by Blink 182…pretty sure that makes me uncool!! 🙂

Sara´s last blog post..There is a Protest in Your Country? Sweet, I’ll be Over!

SamGrace November 11, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Sex on Fire is my damn jam right now. I can’t get enough of it. It’s like I’m a KOL nympho or something.

Live and Let Die is good for banging on your steering wheel or dashboard.

SamGrace´s last blog post..Movies of My Life: High Fidelity

Jessica November 11, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I do like that Smashing Pumpkins song. It makes me rage against the machine.

Jessica´s last blog post..Good/bad decision: the purse edition

sauerkraut November 12, 2008 at 11:57 am