Top 5 Excuses for Not Voting on November 4th

by Ginger on November 3, 2008

in Random

Well, it’s Monday and you know what that means…time for another list!

Since election day is nigh, I figured it’s only appropriate to do a public service post on voting. In fact, I was going to make today’s list all serious about the top 5 reasons to go out and vote tomorrow. Of course, then I thought, nah, you good people are all with me on that one already. So instead, I’m going to do…

The Top 5 Excuses for NOT Voting on November 4th!

1. Um, hello, I’d much prefer to just bitch about the state of my city/state/country rather than do something about it.
  2. Well, my vote doesn’t count anyway because I a) don’t live in a swing state, b) would be voting for the Marijuana party not one of the two “major” parties or c) am a felon, so why bother?
  3. It’s raining/snowing/windy/perfectly still/sunny/the apocalypse has come.
  4. Since I don’t like either of the presidential candidates, why bother voting for any of the local/state elections or propositions that could affect my day to day life? The presidential election is the only one that counts.
  5. Ooh, sorry, I wish I could but I um….well…honestly, I just don’t care.

Seriously, just vote tomorrow. Take a neighbor who doesn’t have a ride to the polls. Remind your forgetful grandma that she needs to vote. Whoever you’re voting for, whatever you’re voting for, just go.

And in the meantime, head on over to abdpbt for some more list-y goodness!

listbutton

Cat November 3, 2008 at 1:37 pm

A to the men sista. Also, “I’m not voting because I’m a responsible libertarian”. I heard that one this week, but I’ll be a monkey’s uncle if I know what that means.

anna November 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Nice list, though I would add:

6. I plan to vote for McCain, and want to avoid being an asshole.

At least, I hope.

Jessica November 3, 2008 at 7:04 pm

I used to be like #1, hey I’ll just complain and not do anything to help change it. Oh silly, younger version of me.

Ida R. November 3, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Good list, but I’d add
#6. I don’t trust that my vote will be counted correctly.
(heard this excuse just today)

Lisa's Chaos November 4, 2008 at 8:27 am

I think the number one I hear is that the lines are too long and I don’t want to stand there.

My kids say they don’t know enough about them and apparently they don’t want to figure it out beforehand. I have encouraged them to make votes on the issues not on who everyone else says is great. Half of our kids are voting positively, we’ll see on the others. Fingers crossed.

I worry about my vote being counted correctly. And also I worry that one of my kids will just cancel me out.

The biggest one I’m guilty of is thinking that my one vote won’t matter. But I voted over a week ago.

Kelly November 4, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I voted even though we live in Germany……It was a total pain in the ass but I did it. Only to hear the other day that only 25% of overseas votes really count. There goes all my hard work!!!

Ginger November 4, 2008 at 7:41 pm

@Kelly: Maybe yours will be one of the 25%? Either way, it’s still an important thing to do!!

Lisa's Chaos November 4, 2008 at 8:21 pm

It was your list of things that inspired me to write my own voting post today. Thanx for that. 🙂