Well, I suck

by Ginger on October 16, 2008

in I'm a Disaster

Normally, I wouldn’t post twice in one day, but I’m burdened by this thought and must get it off my chest–lately, I suck at a lot of things. I’m hoping that sharing this list will shame me into getting my act together on life.

Here’s just a sampling of my suckitude:

• I suck at my job. I’m operating from a place of uncertainty and fear rather than confidence and knowledge and it’s killing my performance. I’ve got to kick my ass to get past it
  • I suck at being a friend. I’ve been MIA to a large portion of my real world friends. Some of that is unavoidable (hello sickness), but some of it is just laziness on my part.
  • I suck at being a daughter/family member. Phone calls and emails have been lapsing, and I need to knock it off. There are only a few family members who I don’t feel guilty ignoring, and the rest are weighing heavily on me.
  • I suck at dieting and exercising. Nuff said.
  • I suck at being frugal. I know it’s dumb to buy lunch everyday, or to not eat leftovers, or to buy things I don’t need. Particularly when there are things I do need, and if I’d just stop being stupid about these little things we could probably get those things we need sooner.

Well, reading through this, it looks like I kind of suck at being a grownup in general these days. Anyone else have times like this, where you let everything just…lapse? Or am I the only slacker?

brandy October 16, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Dude, you are definitely not alone. I’ve been sucking lately at staying in touch (like you, I was sick). And I DEFINITELY have not been exercising my frugal capabilities lately. I blame fall and all it’s wonderful and pretty clothes that insist on me buying them.

Emily October 17, 2008 at 8:56 am

Um…yes, I regularly suck at life. And when those “I’m a sucky person” thoughts hit, I deal with what I can at that moment (i.e. shoot off a quick e-mail to a friend I haven’t seen in awhile), I sit down and map out what I need to deal with over the next few days or weeks (i.e. reorganize my budget, work on a healthy and realistic meal plan, etc.), and then those things that are honestly too big and too much for Type B me to handle…I let go. Because no one’s ever entirely not sucky.

anna October 17, 2008 at 9:15 am

Um, yeah, I suck at all of those things, too. A lot of them I try to make myself care about, but cannot. Others I really do care about, and beat myself up about regularly. I don’t really have any advice, since I have the same problem, but no, you’re not alone!

Joanna October 17, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I felt this way the other day. I think you should smack yourself in the face and tell yourself you’re awesome. And then, go get ice cream.

Joanna October 17, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I just realized that ice cream would not help you with your “buying things you don’t need” problem. no WAIT – it would. everyone needs ice cream.

Tough GIrl 101 October 17, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I’m all of the above too. Don’t worry, we’re all like that at least a little bit or at least once in awhile. But if you know you’re this way, your goal should be to improve instead of getting down on yourself too much.

Single October 18, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Yeah, I’m with you on those things. I’m so bad about the lunch thing too when I’m working. I hate leftovers. It makes me sick to think how much money I wasted on lunch in just the past year. I’m totally going to turn over a new leaf at my next job!

Ginger October 19, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I’m glad to know I’m not alone! I try not to get too down on myself sometimes, but there are times when it all comes to a head (usually more than one of those areas at once) and just smacks me upside the head. At least it’s a good kick in the pants to make me start changing!