I’m a social media outcast

by Ginger on October 14, 2008

in Blogging & Social Media

I have a confession to make, one that might brand me as horribly out of touch, but so be it. See, I’m pretty much insulated from the social media world, this blog not withstanding. I’ve had a myspace account for ages, but I really only use it for staying in touch with high school and college friends, and mostly find it annoying these days as it has a tendency to clog up my already wonky computer. I’ve briefly flirted with a few others, but generally end up annoyed at the amount of time that they waste (I’m talking to you StumbleUpon!). But up until now, I’ve made no other commitments…no facebook, no twitter, none of those other players.

However the times, they change, and eventually, I must change with them.

So, as is my 3 years late to the party way, I’m debating adding some new social media platforms to my daily repertoire. Here’s where you lovely readers come in–what are your thoughts, experiences, etc. with some of those platforms? Do you find that they actually help build communities and relationships, or are they more of the same? Do you enjoy them or feel overwhelmed by the obligation to keep them up? Do you use them for the whole world, or limited viewership? Do you have one favorite over the rest?

I’m torn, and as anyone will tell you, I always like to have 94,000 pieces of information before making even the smallest decision, so your opinions will be filed away to help me make mine. C’mon, help a girl step into 2009!

Katherine October 14, 2008 at 11:46 am

I think you’d be better off concentrating on increasing your non-media social experience.

Tough Girl Kat October 14, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Well I make my income by blogging so i NEED to use social media. It’s part of the job. The only media i ever actually use for fun is just Facebook.

anna October 14, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I need to use social media, too, otherwise I would probably not do it. I find that Twitter is good for one-liners, but I only do it to sort of keep track of people. Right now it’s not unmanageable, because I only have like 60 followers and am following about the same amount. I have Facebook as well, but spend very little time on there unless somebody contacts me.

I like blogs more, because it’s more fun to just read what people write. But since I want to do it professionally, it’s a necessary part of everything, I guess.

Single October 14, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Facebook is awesome! And only people I like can see my info. It’s great! Join Facebook and we can be friends:-)

Jamie October 15, 2008 at 9:39 am

My number one is Twitter. It’s fun and addicting and you will love it.

Promise.

pabloguero75 October 15, 2008 at 10:29 am

Definitely facebook. I’m not a social media kind of person either.

It’s easy to use and you can quickly build a network of friends. But it’s addictive and eats a lot of time that I could spend doing something more productive.